Want a more healthy version of adai?! then check out the oats adai.
Adai Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main| Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Raw Rice – 1 cup
Idli Rice – 1 cup
Urad Dal – 1/4 cup
Toor Dhal – 1/4 cup
Chana Dal – 1/4 cup
Moong Dhal – 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Hing – a generous pinch
Fennel seeds – 1.5 tsp
Red Chillies – 2
Big Onion – 2 medium sized finely chopped
Garlic – 2.5 tbsp sized finely chopped
Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp finely chopped
Oil – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
- Soak the rice and dhals for atleast 2-3 hours, Keep aside. Grind it together with red chillies and fennel seeds to a coarse paste. Add salt, turmeric powder, hing mix well and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic and coriander leaves and mix well. Add little water to make it to slightly running consistency slightly thicker than the dosa batter.
- Heat the dosa tawa , take one laddle full and spread the batter as we do for dosa. Drizzle little oil and once it is cooked turn to other side and cook till golden brown.
Serve hot with coconut chutney or avial.
- If you want a more spicy version add 2 more red chillies while grinding.
- Grind it coarsely not too smooth.Once the batter is ready you can make your adais right away. We usually grind it noon to make it for dinner and keep the extra remaining batter till next day morning(keeping it refrigerated)
- You can also spread the batter even more thicker. We prefer this way to get crispy dosa style adais.
- You can also include a small piece of ginger while grinding.