I had bookmarked this recipe even before I tried the caramel pudding with eggs, but totally forgot about it. When few readers and friends asked for a eggless and nobake version I remembered the bookmark and finally gave this a try last weekend - Easy, exotic and delicious pudding with few ingredients, what more do you need?
A easy dessert but sure to please ur kids and guests, try this and am sure you will love it like how we did :) I topped up with butterscotch sauce I had, you can serve it as such or with caramel sauce too.
1.Crumble the bread in wide bowl. Add milk and sugar to it and mash it well.
2.Once it is mashed well, add vanilla essence and mix once. Set aside. In a pan, add sugar and water in medium flame, do not stir just swirl continuosly for even heating.
3.Once the sugar is melted, it will start bubbling then slowly it will change to brown color. See below once it is golden brown switch it off.
4.Immediately transfer to the pudding setting pan(I used my square cake tin). Tilt so that the caramel is coated evenly on all sides. Then transfer the bread milk mixture. Cover with aluminium foil and prick holes here and there for the steam to escape.
5.Keep it inside a pressure cooker container water(say 1/2 cup). Close and steam without weight for 15-20mins. Once pressure releases, cool down then refrigerate for 1-2hours. Then run a knife along the sides and invert on a plate. Then cut into squares.
Pour caramel/butterscotch sauce while serving and enjoy the easy and delicious dessert.
- Make sure you select a pan that will fit in your pressure cooker.
- You can serve it as such or just pour caramel or butterscotch sauce, tastes yum.
- You can also add toasted nuts of your choice.
- I used milk sweet bread so the sugar quantity was fine, adjust according to your preference.
- Once the caramel is prepared, transfer immediately else it will get set and will not be able to pour.