Green gram dhal is my favourite but havent tried it myself all these days. We have the habit of eating it as sundal and this time when I tasted this dhal from one of my colleagues, I got the recipe from her and tried it the same week. Its quick healthy and comforting with rice and ghee. A spicy raw banana fry to accompany with it...and what more you need for a lunch?!
- Soak green gram overnight atleast for 6-7 hours. Pressure cook dhal with enough water for 3 to 4 whistles until soft and mushy. Give a quick stir with a laddle to mush it up.
- Heat oil, add mustard seeds, jeera and curry leaves, allow it to splutter.Then add garlic and saute for a second.
- Add chopped onions and saute until slightly browned then add tomatoes saute until raw smell leaves and it shrinks.Then add turmeric, garam masala, red chilli powder and required salt, mix well.
- Add cooked green gram and add 1/4 cup water and let it boil for 5-7mins until the curry is well blended with the masalas.Switch off and serve hot with ghee and rice.
- Peel of the skin and Pressure cook raw banana for 1 whistle until soft but not mushy - You can also boil it in a cup of water until soft. Then chop it to slightly thick / thin slices, keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl add raw banana then red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, ginger garlic paste, hing and salt. Sprinkle little water if necessary. Make sure the veggie is well coated.Marinate and keep aside for atleast 15mins.
- Then heat a nonstick pan / dosa pan with oil and then add the marinated raw banana slices and toast it well until evenly fried.
- You can deep fry the marinated slices too. But we often make this so mostly toast it in a iron kadai which gives a nice roast.