This has been on to my todo list since long as few of my friends and even readers requested me to post it. This is my way of cleaning mushroom.....The first time I had mushroom I didnt like the veggie and said that I'll never have it again.....But now its my favourite and we buy it every now and then. Check out kadai mushroom masala and mushroom do pyaza that I posted long back.
- Always get fresh mushroom from a reliable source. I usually get it from Nilgiris or from Pazhamudir Nilayam. Take the mushroom and immerse it in a bowl containing water.
- Now to remove the black dirt, if you keep rubbing, the thin skin will come out. Then wipe it off with a clean cloth to absorb the moisture. Then trim the end of the stem part.
- Now in the head part remove the outer skin as shown below. Next turn the head part upside down this step is purely optional. I do remove the hairy part for bigger size mushrooms alone, for smaller ones just ignore and go to next step.
- Keep the head part facing down and chop into thin slices...For each mushroom 3-4 slices will be fine not more than that..
- You can also remove the stem part seperately and chop into slices.If the mushroom pieces are big then half each slice too.
- Mushroom leaves out water, so while cooking add water accordingly.
- I dont see the black hair part being removed in most of the places but I personally prefer doing it atleast for big sized mushrooms.
There are different types of mushrooms available but the one easily available here is button mushroom and leaf variety. I have tried only button mushroom but have tasted leaf mushroom at my friends place and totally loved it :)My Notes:
Written by: SHARMILEE J