Mushrooms are easy to clean and cut than what we see & anticipate. With easy tips and tricks here is an ultimate guide to teach you How to clean mushrooms the right way with step by step pictures and video.
Mushroom cleaning and cutting should not be a hindrance to cook delicious mushroom dishes. This post has been on to my to do list since long as few of my friends and even readers requested me to post it.
How to clean mushrooms
Mushrooms are porous and absorbs any of liquid or oil easily like a sponge. They have a special umami flavor which many of us love. Fresh Mushrooms are easily available in supermarkets and small stores now.
This is my way of cleaning mushrooms. Are you like me who believed in the myth ‘never wash mushrooms’ then this is just right for you. The reason why it said not to wash mushrooms is that mushrooms are 90% water and if we wash it would absorb more and get waterlogged. But brushing off the dirt wouldn’t help so washing the right way is a must!
So mushrooms can have a shower not a bath said a mushroom farmer in an interview. You can rinse it then wipe of with a cloth to absorb extra moisture.
How to clean mushrooms – Video
Methods to clean mushrooms
- Using Bowl – Bowl method is efficient as when you see clear water you can stop rinsing it.
- Using Strainer – Transfer the mushrooms to a strainer and rinse it in shower of running water.
There are different types of mushrooms available but the one easily available here is button mushroom and leaf variety. I have tried only button mushroom but have tasted leaf mushroom at my friends place and totally loved it.
Mushrooms come in different varieties including :
- Button mushroom
- Portabello mushroom
- Oyster mushrooms
- Porcini mushrooms
- Enoki mushrooms etc
- Kadai Mushroom
- Kadai Mushroom Gravy
- Mushroom Biryani
- Mushroom Fried Rice
- Mushroom Manchurian
- Mushroom Do Pyaza
- Mushroom Pepper Fry
How to buy mushrooms
Mushrooms are commonly available in 200 grams packed in a plastic container. If you wan to pick your mushrooms then you need to visit the farmers market to check and buy them individually.
Here is what you have to check before buying:
- Choose tender ones that are more white in color.
- It should have a fresh and firm appearance.
- The stalk should stay intact with the cap.
- Always get fresh mushroom from a reliable source.
How to clean mushrooms Step by Step
1.First take a bowl full of clean water and add the mushrooms. Do not soak it immediately rinse it.
2.Rub the top well to remove dirt.
3.Now transfer the mushrooms to a plate. See the water how dirty it is, pour it and change water and rinse again.
4.Rinse and change water – repeat this for 2-3 times at least or until the rinsed water is clean like shown here.
5.Now add it to a strainer.
6.Wipe off with a kitchen cloth to remove extra moisture.
7.Now mushrooms are clean.
How to cut mushrooms
8.Now place few mushrooms on a chopping board then trim the edge of the stem part.
10.Keep the head part facing down and chop into slices. Cut each mushroom into 3-4 slices.
11.Repeat to finish.
12.If the mushroom is big then you can cut each slice into 2 like shown here.
13.Mushrooms are cleaned and cut ready to cook.
- Rinse it quickly and drain do not soak mushrooms in water for a long time.
- You can even add the mushrooms to a strainer and rinse it well.
- Use it as soon as you can once you cut them.
- Mushrooms let out water while cooking so do not add extra water.
How to store
If you are not going to use the mushrooms right away then put it in a paper bag and store. Storing in plastic covers may trap moisture in the mushrooms and make it slimy. This keeps well in fridge for 2-3 days. Just refrigerate do not freeze mushrooms.
1.Can I wash mushrooms using water?
Yes you can rinse and wash mushrooms making sure not to soak in water for a long time. As soon as you rinse strain it then wipe off with a cloth to remove extra moisture.
2.Can I freeze mushrooms?
No fresh mushrooms should not be frozen.
3.Can I store in plastic containers in fridge?
No the best way to store mushrooms is to use a paper bag as it will absorb excess moisture. Storing in plastic bags or containers will make mushrooms slimy.
Tried this how to clean mushrooms? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
📖 Recipe Card
How to clean mushrooms
- 200 gms mushrooms
- First take a bowl full of clean water and add the mushrooms. Do not soak it immediately rinse it.
- Rub the top well to remove dirt.
- Now transfer the mushrooms to a plate. See the water how dirty it is, pour it and change water and rinse again.
- Rinse and change water – repeat this for 2-3 times at least or until the rinsed water is clean like shown here.
- Now add it to a strainer.
- Wipe off with a cloth to remove extra moisture.
- Now mushrooms are clean.
- Now place few mushrooms on a chopping board then trim the edge of the stem part.
- Discard it.
- Keep the head part facing down and chop into slices. Cut each mushroom into 3-4 slices.
- Repeat to finish.
- Mushrooms are cleaned and cut ready to cook.