I am always bowled out when I see jelly by its shaky and glossy look. But I am not fond of having jellies as such so googled and founds these 2 easy jelly dessert ideas. The first time I tried to set jelly , it didnt set at all.So making jelly was like a dream to me though its a simple process. The next time when I tried to set jelly for this jelly custard, it came out perfect. See 'my notes' for tips to get perfectly set jelly.
- Prepare jelly according to the pack instructions,(but always use little less water than mentioned in the pack)If the pack says to add 500ml of water use only 400ml of water to make sure the jelly sets well.
- Now pour it into 3 medium sized glasses, exactly to half of the glasses and refrigerate it for an hour or two.Pour the remaining jelly in molds, cups and refrigerate them.
- Meanwhile you can prepare the custard. Take 1/2 cup milk, mix it with custard powder and sugar without any lumps until sugar dissolves completely, keep aside.
- Heat the remaining milk in a pan, when it starts boiling add the milk custard powder sugar mixture.Keep mixing continuously to avoid forming lumps.Mix well once the mixture is thickened (when you pour it should not be runny) switch off.
- Allow it to cool for 10mins(When cooling the mixture thickenes further so switch off accordingly)
- Then fill the remaining half of the glass with this mixture. Refrigerate for 30mins, garnish with nuts/cherries and serve chilled.
- Make sure you use little less quantity of water then mentioned in the pack. Else your jelly will not get set easily.
- I used strawberry flavour , you can use any flavour of your choice.
- Dont try to half the jelly packet, the jellys will not set. So use the full packet, form jellies and then store them refrigerated.
- I tried to click the consistency of the custard, by then the custard got thickened so be very careful and keep stirring till the custard reaches the desired consistency.
The remaining jelly poured in molds, cups can be demoulded easily and stored refrigerated for about 10days. You can either eat them as such or serve them with any chilled dessert or a scoop of icecream.
Pulse the milk with jelly and sugar to form a thick and creamy shake. Serve chilled.
The granular texture of the jellies in the milkshake is the yummiest. My little one loved the jelly as such and I luved it in the form of milkshake . So our jellies were over in about a weeks time :)
There are many flavours available in weikfield brand : strawberry, cherry, mango, lime, pineapple, orange etc so pick your choice from them.