Sweets/Desserts are my fav....When I first saw this halwa in Mahimas blog just luved it and was waiting to try it. So the tempted me, coudnt wait till the weekend so tried it on a weekday night and the click was also on the same day. Not disappointed with the click so posting it here :) I added carrots with beets and it was sooo tasty!
Pictures updated on 17/10/11
There is no compromise in taste with dates being replaced for sugar. Indulge in the healthy and delicious dessert.
- Peel the skin of carrots, beets and grate them finely. Heat 1 tsp ghee in a kadai. Roast the nuts till golden brown and set aside.
- In the same pan, add little ghee, grated carrot and beets. Fry for few minutes till raw smell goes and it shrinks....it make take around 7-10 mins.
- Now add the chopped dates and cook till it becomes soft. Add milk and allow it to boil in medium flame. Mix well and cook till milk is absorbed fully it will take 15-20mins
- When beet carrots and dates are fully cooked(it will become soft) and milk is absorbed fully, add the remaining ghee. Cook till the ghee seperates and the halwa will slow turn nonsticky.
- When ghee seperates and the mixture is semi thick switch off. Garnish with ghee fried nuts and give a quick stir. Serve hot or cold!
- You can replace dates with sugar too. The taste of dates is totally hidden and it tastes like the halwa we make with sugar.
- You can either serve it hot or chilled, I luv it both ways.
- It keeps well for 1 day if refrigerated.