Carrot Halwa is my favorite now that mittu is fond of it I am making it often.When I saw red carrots / Delhi carrots in season I quickly grabbed it to make this halwa.Adding condensed milk to carrot halwa gives a rich taste and elevates the taste to a new level 🙂
I made this carrot halwa today with my ultra pressure pan as I am trying to avoid nonstick pans lets see how it goes 🙂
Carrot Halwa Recipe
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Grated Carrot – 1 and 1/2 tightly packed
Condensed Milk – 1/2 cup
Milk – 1/3 cup(Boiled and cooled)
Sugar – 1/3 cup
Ghee – 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tbsp
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
Chopped Nuts – 1 tbsp(I used pista)
- Wash carrots well, trim both the edges and peel off the skin.Grate it using a grater.
- Measure and keep it ready.In a pan or pressure cooker, heat ghee and add grated carrots.Saute till raw smell leaves and it starts to shrink.
- Add remaining 1/2 tbsp ghee and keep sauteing till it shrinks.,it may take atleast 5mins, do this in low flame.Add condensed milk.
- Then add sugar and milk.Let it cook.
- Once carrots become soft and cooked fully , keep the flame in low medium for the milk to reduce.It will nicely bubble and start reducing slowly,stir on and off.Keep scraping the sides.Keep stirring so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When it becomes dry with a slight sticky texture,add cardamom powder .Give a quick stir, let it cook for a minute then switch off.
Serve hot / warm with nuts as garnish!
- Always saute carrots in ghee till raw smell completely leaves.
- You can skip milk and make it entirely with condensed milk too.
- I used homemade condensed milk.
- I used raw nuts, you can add ghee fried cashews / badams too
- Using a thick bottomed utensil is a must.
- Cooking the entire process in low or low medium flame is advisable.
- You can even add saffron strands and raisins in addition.
- The halwa keeps well for 2-3 days if refrigerated, in room temperature only for a day.