I bought this cracked wheat for the first time and was skeptical how it wud taste for upma. I made this a week back and it was a quick and filling breakfast not compromising on the taste. Having tasted it, now I know this would fill in my grocery list often :)
- Cracked wheat rava - 1 cup
- Water - 3 cups
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp [optional]
- Onion - 1 finely chopped
- Finely chopped carrot and peas - 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves - a few
- Green chillies - 1 sliced thin
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
NOTE : Cracked wheat / udaitha gothumai rava needs more water than the usual rava. With 3 cups the upma was seperated which is what I liked. If you want it to be a little mashy then add 3.5 cups of water.
- First roast rava in 1 tsp of oil on low flame for 3mins or till you can smell the aroma.Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan/pressure cooker. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chilli and fry well. After the mustard seeds crackle, add gingergarlic paste, onions and fry well.
- Add veggies...Sprinkle salt, turmeric powder and fry till the veggies turn soft. Now add the roasted rava and mix well till all is combined.
- Add 3 cups of water exactly and pressure cook it for 5 whistles . Serve hot with sambar / chutney.
I got this yellow bowl long back as I liked the color but not using it much becos of the white glare of light on the bowl. But this time made up my mind to click with this bowl however the light reflects back....not bad isnt it?!