Zafrani Pulao as the name suggests is a saffron infused pulao version from Moghul cuisine which is mildly sweet, aromatic & delicious. Zafrani pulao made by cooking rice with saffron infused milk & blend with tempered nuts & dry fruits. Zafrani Pulao is a must try at home for weekend lunch and special occasions.
Zafrani Pulao a mildy sweet pulao made with saffron and nuts as main ingredients.This zafrani pulao was suggested by my cousin sister and asked me to refer cheeni khum too that tempted me more.
I received saffron and nuts directly from Kashmir so wanted to try them so made this zafrani pulao.I received unshelled walnuts and almonds so removing the hard shell took a good amount of time as the kids sat to help it was more a activity for all of us. When I was opening the parcel itself, I could sense the strong saffron smell, so couldn’t wait to use it in my recipes.If you are looking for good quality saffron you can buy here it is soo flavorful and good.
Tried this Zafrani Pulao Recipe? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
Zafrani Pulao Recipe
- 1 tbsp hot milk
- 5 strands saffron
For cooking rice
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 and 1/2 cups water
- 8 to 10 small strands saffron
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 half inch cinnamon
- 2 nos cloves
- 1 no cardamom
- 1 no bayleaf
For fryings nuts :
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 15 nos cashews
- 15 nos almonds chopped
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1 tsp sugar
- Soak around 5 strands of saffron in a tbsp of hot milk. Set aside.
- Soak rice in water for 30 mins. Rinse well and drain and set aside.
- Heat oil + ghee - add the spices, give a quick mix then add drained rice, Saute for few seconds. Then add water + milk.
- Add 8 to 10 strands saffron,sugar and salt. When it starts to boil, add rice mix well and cook covered .
- Open and stir in between just once or twice not often. Stir gently.
- Cook covered until rice turns soft. Add saffron milk. Give a quick mix.
- Rice may look sticky when its hot but after cooling down it becomes grain separated.
- Now heat ghee in a tadka pan - add cashew and almonds, saute until golden then add raisins fry until it bubbles up nicely.
- Add this to rice and mix it. Fluff it gently do not over mix else rice will break.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of ghee!
- You can use long grained basmati rice.I used normal basmati rice only.
- Do not add more milk
- You can have many variations like adding fried onions and fruits too.
- Saffron quantity can vary depending on the quality and the thickness of each strand.
- If you like more sweetish pulao then you an add more sugar.
How to make Zafrani Pulao
- Soak around 5 strands of saffron in a tbsp of hot milk.Set aside.Soak rice in water for 30 mins.Rinse well and drain and set aside.
- Heat oil + ghee – add the spices, give a quick mix then add drained rice, Saute for few seconds.Then add water + milk.
- Add 8 to 10 strands saffron,sugar and salt.When it starts to boil, add rice mix well and cook covered.Open and stir in between just once or twice not often.Stir gently.
- Cook covered until rice turns soft.Add saffron milk.Give a quick mix
- Rice may look sticky when its hot but after cooling down it becomes grain separated.Now heat ghee in a tadka pan – add cashew and almonds, saute until golden then add raisins fry until it bubbles up nicely.
- Add this to rice and mix it.Fluff it gently do not overmix else rice will break.
Serve hot or warm with a drizzle of ghee!
Rich and yummy zafrani pulao ready!