Tawa Pulao is a tasty & famous Mumbai street food that is made by preparing bhaji masala & blending it with cooked rice. Tawa pulao is cooked on the same tawa, pav bhaji masala is made and is quite simple to make with leftover rice & bhaji. Tawa Pulao recipe is explained in this post with step by step pictures and video.
Tawa pulao is simple and easy to make if you have leftover bhaji & cooked rice. Tawa Pulao requires slightly more effort if you want to bhaji & rice from scratch – however it is worth the effort for its taste!
Tawa means specifically here the concave big pan that is used for making pav bhaji in the chaat shops. Pulao means cooked rice seasoned with spices. Tawa Pulao is therefore the rice seasoned with pav bhaji masala & spices in a tawa. Tawa pulao is a unique variation to the usual pulao and we totally loved the combo with onion raita. Tawa Pulao has become one of the weekend special that I make once in a month.
About Tawa Pulao Recipe
The star ingredient of this pulao is Pav Bhaji Masala Powder – so I posted Pav Bhaji Masala Powder recipe first. I was happy that it turned very homely & flavourful that tasted out of the world. Do try it when you have time & if you wish to explore and try experiments at kitchen. I could not hold myself further with the Tawa Pulao and here we go with the recipe that brings the street food memories at home from our kitchen!
Empty Tawa Pulao
Sounds weird? Yes – when I do not have veggies but crave for a masala rice – I go for Empty Tawa Pulao. Just skip the veggies in the recipe prescribed below for an Empty Tawa Pulao. Believe me, tawa pulao tastes good with the bhaji masala without veggies as well! Sometimes when we order Pav Bhaji from restaurants and leftover with the Bhaji, I mix them with leftover rice for Empty Tawa Pulao!
- Pav Bhaji Masala Powder & Spices : I have used homemade pav bhaji masala powder – you can use store bought pav bhaji masala powder too. I have tried tawa pulao with all desi brands and all turned out to be equally good. Additionally I have added chilli powder & pav bhaji masala powder which makes the masala more tasty & spicy. You can add turmeric powder, garam masala powder too.
- Veggies : I have sauteed big onion, tomatoes & capsicum and blend it with the spices. I slightly undercooked carrot, peas & potato and simmered them with the cooked rice. Lemon extract gives a tangy taste to the masala, hence do not skip it. Garnish the pulao with coriander leaves. You can also use gobi, paneer, mushroom or leftover veggies for this pulao!
- Rice : Its Basmati Rice that is best when it comes to pulao, fried rice and dum biryani! However alternatively you can use Ponni Boiled rice or Sonamasoori. Slightly undercook the rice as it gets perfect when we simmer it again with the masala & veggies.
If you have any more questions about this Tawa Pulao Recipe do mail me at [email protected]. In addition, follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest ,Youtube and Twitter .
Tried this Tawa Pulao Recipe ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
Tawa Pulao Recipe
- 1 and 1/2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1/2 cup onion chopped finely
- 1/2 cup tomatoes chopped finely
- 1/2 cup capsicum
- 1 cup boiled vegetables (carrot,peas,potato)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp pav bhaji masala powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp butter optional
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp jeera
- Pressure cook the vegetables for just 2 whistles, drain water and keep aside. Heat butter+oil in a pan.
- Add jeera allow it to crackle. Then add ginger garlic paste, saute till golden.
- Then add onion along with salt saute until transparent.
- Add tomatoes,capsicum saute for few mins.
- Then using a masher mash it up.
- Onion tomato should be slightly mushy and raw smell should leave completely.
- Add red chilli powder , garam masala powder, pav bhaji masala powder.
- Saute till the spice powder is mixed well.
- Add cooked vegetables.
- Saute well until the veggies are coated well.
- Add cooked rice. Mix well.
- Be gently while mixing do not break the rice. Mix well until the veggies and masalas are evenly coated.
- Finally add coriander leaves and switch off. Tawa Pulao ready!
- Make sure the veggies dont lose its crunchnesss which is the speciality of this pulao.
Onion raita is the best combination for this tawa pulao, but you can serve it with cucumber raita too.
- The veggies can be pressure cooked in advance else you can add water and cook it in pan too.
- Presoak the rice for 15 mins then pressure cook the rice for 3 whistles with 1(rice):1.5 cups(water) so that rice is cooked with grains separated.
How to make Tawa Pulao
Preparing the masala
1.Pressure cook the vegetables for just 2 whistles, drain water and keep aside. Heat butter+oil in a pan.
2.Add jeera allow it to crackle. Then add ginger garlic paste, saute till golden.
3.Then add onion along with salt saute until transparent.
4.Add tomatoes,capsicum saute for few mins.
5.Then using a masher mash it up.
6.Onion tomato should be slightly mushy and raw smell should leave completely.
Adding spice powders
7.Add red chilli powder , garam masala powder, pav bhaji masala powder.
8.Saute till the spice powder is mixed well.
Adding cooked vegetables
9.Add cooked vegetables.
10.Saute well until the veggies are coated well.
Adding cooked rice
11.Add cooked rice.
13.Be gently while mixing do not break the rice. Mix well until the veggies and masalas are evenly coated.
14.Finally add coriander leaves and switch off.
Tawa Pulao ready!
- Make sure the veggies does not lose its crunchiness which is the speciality of this pulao. Raita is the best combination for this tawa pulao – however you can use yogurt & pickle as well.
- The veggies can be pressure cooked in advance else you can add water and cook it in pan too.
- Pre-soak the rice for 15 mins then pressure cook the rice for 3 whistles with 1(rice):1.5 cups(water) so that rice is cooked with grains separated.
- You can add any leftover vegetables – few beans, little cabbage, mint leaves, corn, 2 green chillis leftover in refrigerator for this recipe. Remember to boil / cook them and use.
- This recipe is medium spicy, so increase the red chilli powder if you wish it more spicy
- You can skip the vegetables to make it Empty Tawa Pulao
Serving & Storing Suggestions
Tawa Pulao tastes best hot & with time! It is a good choice for lunch box and travel. Tawa Pulao can be refrigerated for use next day. Reheat and serve when you go for another round or use later.
Enjoy Tawa Pulao with any raita – onion, cucumber, pineapple,etc or plain yougurt! My friend enjoys it even with pickle so try it and continue if you like the combo!
1.What is Tawa Pulao?
Tawa Pulao is a tasty & famous Mumbai street food that is made by preparing bhaji masala & blending it with cooked rice.
2.How do you make Tawa Pulao?
Pressure cook the vegetables for just 2 whistles, drain water and keep aside.
Heat butter + oil in a nonstick pan – add jeera allow it to crackle.
Then saute ginger garlic paste, onion along with salt, tomatoes, capsicum and mash it up.
Add red chilli powder, garam masala powder, pav bhaji masala powder and saute till the spice powder is mixed well. Add cooked vegetables.
Add cooked rice and toss well.
Cook in high heat for 2 mins, mix well then switch it off. Squeeze lemon juice and add chopped coriander leaves. Mix well and serve hot!
3.Can I use leftover Bhaji & rice for this recipe?
Very well -using the leftover bhaji & rice saves lot of effort & time.
4.Why is my pulao sticky / lumpy?
It means the pulao is over cooked – either the rice or vegetables or both. Slightly undercook them so that when we finally simmer, the pulao is perfect!
4.How do you make Empty Tawa Pulao?
Skip the veggies in the recipe prescribed above for tasty Empty Tawa Pulao!
Shweta in the Kitchen
Love Tawa pulao, its tasty delicious & super quick to make
Delicious and colorful tawa pulao. Wonderful dish.
wow…loved it very much… very flavorful rice…
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA
Love the idea of home-made pav bhaji masala… not tried that yet.. must be super flavorful.
This is one dish I have yet to taste…as always sharmi your pics are awesome.
One of my fav Mumbai food.looks delicious
this is my fav too…looks very inviting!!!
Flavorful and tempting rice…….
sowmya's creative saga
Amazing dish….I love it very much.
i hadn't heard of this either. looks pretty spicy!
delicious and flavorful pulao…
Looks pretty ….
One of our fav!! So easy to make & yet a avery addictive pulao!! U can blindly follow SK`s recipes always..I had referred his tawa pulao recipe too when making for the 1st time..Yours has come out perfect Sharmi 🙂
love this preparation, quick and so delicious!
Lovely Tawa Pulao. Looks great!
Yummy Pulav.. I have been following your blog quite .. nice recipes and ur presentation is really good. Also I like your frequent updates… Keep it up.
Yummm my very fav one 🙂 way too tempting.
Yummy and super easy dish!
Nice way to make separate servings too!
pulao looks delicious!
Flavorful rice,great pics dear.
even i wanted to try this for long time. thnx for sharing. will try soon..
Never made it before, love the ingredients pic a lot 🙂
Looks yum. heard and read and eaten it so many times but never tried it. Must make asap.
I am hosting WTML All through August’12. Do send me your entries
The use of pav bhaji masala was what made me try Tawa pulav. Its something I make quite often now with paneer and some tomato sauce added. One of my easy, fav dishes to make for unexpected guests.
Very tempting and easy one pot meal.
can u please post pachapairu sadam?
your rice items are really delicious.Thanks 🙂
@Haritha : Sure will post it if I find and get a good recipe 🙂
Beautiful and tempting tawa pulao…makes your stomach grumble instantly!! – Visit My Site
Lovely… Tasted very well with raita. Thank you!!! 🙂
its nice..sharmi pls post egg briyani
Wawoo so simple and great recipe… Thanks @Sharmilee for sharing such wonderful Tava Pulao recipe