Suryakala Chandrakala is a delicious, crispy outer & soft inner sweet made by stuffing khoya in maida dough and deep fried after shaping them as sun & moon. Suryakala Chandrakala is worth the effort & time with its taste and commonly made for Diwali & special occasions.
Suryakala Chandrakala is very famous in sweet stalls but we can make it at home too.This is a bit lengthy process but worth the effort as it tastes so delicious.Actually this sweet was in my to try list since a long time.I have seen this in sweet stalls but have tasted only few times when it comes along with assorted sweets.It is made with maida for outer covering and khoya,nuts for inner stuffing.I used homemade instant khoya.
Both suryakala, chandrakala sweets get their names from their shapes.Suryakala is suryan which is sun shaped and chandrakala is chandran means moon so its half moon shape.
The ones I’ve tasted both had the same stuffing so I too made it like that, you can try any of your favourite stuffing too.I made it yesterday and was feeling so content after tasting it…yayy!!
If you have any more questions about this Suryakala Chandrakala Recipe do mail me at [email protected]. In addition, follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Youtube and Twitter .
Tried this Suryakala Chandrakala Recipe ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 strands saffron
For inner stuffing:
- 3/4 cup khoya
- 2 tbsp chopped nuts
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- a tiny pinch cardamom powder
- Crumble khoya, add chopped nuts and powdered sugar.
- Add cardamom power and mix well.
- Take maida in a mixing bowl. Add ghee and salt, first mix this well to resemble bread crumbs.
- Add water little by little to form a smooth pliable non-sticky dough. Set aside to rest.
- Take sugar in a pan, add water to it. Add saffron strands.
- Heat it up, boil until it reduces and forms a sticky syrup. No need to check for string consistency. Set aside.
- Now knead the dough well. Roll to a thin sheet, cut with a lid.
- Take 2 circles. add 2 tsp stuffing in the center.
- Cover with another circle, press at the edges to seal completely. Pinch fold continuously to get pattern like sun.
- Take a circle, add 2 tsp of khoya stuffing.
- Fold from one side, press and seal the edges. Pinch fold continuously to get pattern like half moon. Repeat to finish the dough.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add 2-3 at a time, fry until golden brown. Cook in low medium flame. Drain and then add it to warm sugar syrup.
- Turn over and let it soak for 5 mins, then remove it from syrup and arrange it in a plate. Enjoy Suryakala Chandrakala!
- While folding do not make the edges too thin, if the edges are thin then it may turn very crisp.
- Give at least 30 mins resting time before tasting it for best results.
- You can even give one string consistency for sugar syrup but I prefer sticky stage.
Suryakala Chandrakala Recipe Step by Step
- Crumble khoya,add chopped nuts and powdered sugar.
- Add cardamom power and mix well.Take maida in a mixing bowl.
- Add ghee and salt, first mix this well to resemble bread crumbs.
- Add water little by little to form a smooth pliable nonsticky dough.Set aside to rest.
- Take sugar in a pan,add water to it.Add saffron strands.
- Heat it up, boil until it reduces and forms a sticky syrup. No need to check for string consistency.Set aside.
- Now knead the dough well so that it is free from cracks and is very soft and smooth.Roll to a thin sheet, cut with a lid. To make suryakala : Take 2 circles.add 2 tsp stuffing in the center.
- Cover with another circle, press at the edges to seal completely.Pinch fold continuously to get pattern like this.Now to make chandrakala : Take a circle, add 2 tsp of khoya stuffing.Check the video here for folding.
- Fold from one side, press and seal the edges.Pinch fold continuously to get pattern like this.Repeat to finish the dough.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add 2-3 at a time, fry until golden brown.Cook in low medium flame.Drain and then add it to warm sugar syrup.Turn over and let it soak for 5 mins, then remove it from syrup and arrange it in a plate.
Cool down then store in a container!
Enjoy these delicious sweets!
Hi Sharmila I did a try… But the khova inner stuffing comes out while fry… So I did took out before it gets crisp😔
If there is any small opening also the inner stuffing will come out so seal it properly
Shall I fry this in ghee instead oil??
yes but half and half would be good