Shortbread Cookies are melt in mouth butter cookies made by baking a blend of generously added butter with flour, flavours & salt. Shortbread Cookies are favorite cookies in Western world that is a must try with the ingredients available at home.
Shortbread cookies always remain a special place in my baking journey….Yes it was one of the first few cookie recipes that turned out perfect the first time itself. Last time when I made these sugar cookies , mittu enjoyed it…so with confidence made these cookies and she absolutely loved these too.
About Shortbread Cookies
Its simple, easy and quick too with no additional baking powder and baking soda too..how cool is that?! Its perfect for your kids too. With just 4 base ingredients, these cookies are amazing I would say.
If you have any more questions about this Shortbread Cookies Recipe do mail me at [email protected] In addition, follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Youtube and Twitter .
Tried this Shortbread Cookies Recipe ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
- 150 grams maida / all purpose flour
- 50 grams corn flour
- a pinch salt
- 100 grams unsalted butter
- 50 grams powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- In a separate bowl sift the flour with salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter, add sugar and beat until its smooth – it takes about 5mins.
- Add vanilla essence and mix well.
- Now add all purpose flour / maida to the butter sugar mixture and bring it to a dough.
- Flatten the dough into disk shape, wrap in a plastic cover and refrigerate for an hr.
- On a flat surface roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into your desired shapes and place these cookies on the prepared baking sheet and again refrigerate it for 10-15 minutes. This will firm up the dough for the cookies to maintain their shape.
- Meanwhile u can preheat the oven to 175deg C for 10mins.
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 mins.
- Melt in mouth Shortbread Cookies ready!
- If you feel like bread crumble texture after mixing the flour, sugar and butter, you can sprinkle few drops of milk to form the dough like texture for easy rolling and cutting.
- Shortbread cookies should be kept in an airtight container and will go well for a week.
Shortbread Cookies Recipe Step by Step
- In a separate bowl whisk flour with salt, keep aside.In another bowl beat butter and sugar well until creamy with a whisk. Then add vanilla essence and give a quick stir.Gently add in the flour mixture.
- Combine to form a soft dough – If it doesnt come together add just few drops of water/milk.Flatten the dough, wrap it in plastic wrap and chill it for atleast an hour(this is for making the dough firm so that while baking it doesnt spread but I was in a hurry so skipped the chilling part).Then on a slightly floured surface / place a butter paper like I did, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness, then cut using your favourite shaped cookie cutters. Collect the scraps, roll again until you finish the entire dough.If you feek sticky then slightly flour the cookie cutters before using it.Meanwhile preheat the oven at 177 deg C for 10 mins.
- Line butter paper on the cookie tray and transfer the shaped cookies to the butter paper – I chilled the cookies at this stage for 10 mins while the oven was preheating. Once the oven is preheated,bake the cookies at the same temperature for 10-12 mins(mine took 15 mins) or until the edges start turning golden brown.Cool down completely on a wire rack.
The cookies may look soft, once cooled down it becomes crisp.
- You can have this as a basic cookie recipe and have many variations.The cookies are mildy sweet and has a slight salt taste too that makes them unique.
- Add 1/4 cup chocochip (or) a tsp of lemon / orange zest.
- The texture of shortbread can also be changed by replacing 1/8 cup maida with rice flour for a slightly crunchy texture.For a melt in the mouth texture, replace 1/4 cup of the all purpose flour with cornstarch (corn flour).
- You can even use 3/4 cup of maida and 1/4 cup wheat flour for a more healthy version.Dont think half and half will work.
- Dip the shortbreads in melted chocolate for a glaze.
- Salt is added just to lift the sweetness. You can skip that too.
they look lovely, absolutely delicious…could you tell me the make of the oven.
Thanks in advance.
Please check my oven post in the site for my oven details
This is a great idea and recipe …
Compliments – beautiful and elegant work and performance.
Greetings and a nice new week, Diana
delish cookies and they are looking so cute.
Easy to follow recipe, with step by step instructions, Nice pics
Looks very cute and the clicks are too good 🙂
yummy cookies…its so easy to prepare…
too good ! clicks are nice !
wonderful presentation and clicks.. 🙂
Scrumptious cookies, quite addictive.
Super tempting clicks and yummy cookies
they are super easy to make and its better not to avoid salt sharmie because shortbread cookies needs a salt taste in them, that differentiates their taste from other cookies.
these cookies look great and seam to be simple to prepare
Looks cute.. Bookmarked !
cookies looks so cute.. like the raw dough texture. it looks tempting..
These look great. have a doubt ? What is the texture like? Is it crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside or fairly crispy throughout?
Crispy n crunchy goodies..
They are very easy to make, simple and quick accompaniment for tea or coffee.
very delicious and addictive cookies…lovely presentation!
So cute and yum looking….
super tempting crispy cookies
Very cute and great presentation and I lov shortbread cookies but I don't make often cos of the butter needed to make it..
What a great little treat!
i love the flavour of shortbread, especially the buttery-ness 🙂
Hi,Can we bake the cookies in Cooker?
Its easy to prepare recipe! Very nice pics!
this recipe s nice….i saw ur next recipe is egg curry….can u post some more egg recipes…i mean egg roll recipe.thanks.jayanthi.
Sure Renu am also planning to post more egg recipes after many requests from readers…so keep watching! 🙂
Can we use custard powder for this recipe?
beautiful pics and cookies
Cookies look divine! Wonderful pics.!
Hi can We bake them in Microwave ( in which Pre heat option is not there)?
As far as I know preheating is a must for any baked goodie….check for alternates to preheat in ur oven type
tried out these cookies today sharmi and they came out too gud…all at home simply luved them…thanks for such an easy recipe….:) 🙂
Looks so perfect. This cookies is one of my favorites too 🙂
Hi Sharmi…i tried these yesterday….. they taste good.Period! 🙂
a little on the saltier side..i think i added more than a pinch….
Also..i reduced the butter qty to a little less than 75 ml..
Ive even tried ur eggless vanilla cake…..there also i reduced the amount of oil…the cake turned out good…n tht was my first time in baking…Thank u! 😀
APOORVA L U
I tried them too!!!!its yummy!!!!
Special treat to my mom on Mother's day!!! Thank you sooo much for sharing:)
Lovely recipe, looks easy too. Shall be trying them soon 🙂
hi..how long would these cookies last? I want to post it to a friend living abroad, wich mite take 10-20 days…would they last that long? also, can i decorate these with royal icing decorations?
Without icing it will stay good for about a week…not sure beyond that…
can oil be substituted instead of butter.If yes then how much.
I am not sure of the oil substitute measure….sorry
nice recipe going to try them today.
how much in advance can i make them?
It stays good for 1 week in room temperature
Can we use salted butter?
Yes you can use …in that case skip salt.
Lovely recipe. I made it and was a hit in my house. I've posted it on my blog today mentioning the recipe source. Thanks.
my blog – http://priyakitchenette.blogspot.com/
Made them yesterday.They taste awesome.Thanks
I made them today : ) Thank you for sharing the recipe!
I have the samsung smart oven, i doubt i have an option to preheat or bake at 177 degrees. any suggestions on how the setting should be for a smart oven??
Not sure Kaajal as mine is an OTG.You can try keeping at 180 deg C
Hi Sharmilee, I tried these amazing looking cookies from you and they turned awesome. I used the corn flour version and got that melt in the mouth texture. The family totally loved it so did friends. Thank you so much for the wonderful recipe in detail! One modification that I made…I had to add about a tbl spoon of extra maida as the dough turned quite soft to handle.
Looks yummy, At what temperature should the oven be set?
I have already mentioned it as 177deg C
Can we use all purpose flour instead of maida?
Hi sharmi .. Tried this today .. They came out so nice .. But I have a small query here .. While the first batch I pre heated my oven in toast mode and kept the same mode while baking too.. They came out decent .. Second batch .. I preheated the oven in toast mode and then I changed the mode to bake while baking .. They turned brown so quick .. What's the correct procedure here ?? .. Also my oven is also a morph my Richards .. But the time taken to brown the edge is 5-7 mins .. Is that fine ??
Hi sharmi.. I have a doubt here.. After preheating the oven in toast mode .. Should it be changed to bake mode while baking the cookies ?? I also own a Morphy Richards OTG and I learnt from ur oven description blog that you choose toast mode to preheat .. So am a bit confused
Yes toast mode to preheat and bake mode to bake
Hi.. Could u please tell me how to make this in microwave?
can we add cocoa powder in it? as my sis loves choc flavour..
Hey Sharmi! To make the chocolate glazed version, should the baked cookies be dipped in melted chocolate and then refrigerated?
yesyes cool down the cookies completely then glaze the cookies, you can spoon the choc sauce or dip it.