Shortbread Cookies are melt in mouth butter cookies made by baking a blend of generously added butter with flour, flavours & salt. Shortbread Cookies are favorite cookies in Western world that is a must try with the ingredients available at home.
Shortbread cookies always remain a special place in my baking journey….Yes it was one of the first few cookie recipes that turned out perfect the first time itself. Last time when I made these sugar cookies , mittu enjoyed it…so with confidence made these cookies and she absolutely loved these too.
About Shortbread Cookies
Its simple, easy and quick too with no additional baking powder and baking soda too..how cool is that?! Its perfect for your kids too. With just 4 base ingredients, these cookies are amazing I would say.
If you have any more questions about this Shortbread Cookies Recipe do mail me at [email protected] In addition, follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Youtube and Twitter .
Tried this Shortbread Cookies Recipe ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
- 150 grams maida / all purpose flour
- 50 grams corn flour
- a pinch salt
- 100 grams unsalted butter
- 50 grams powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- In a separate bowl sift the flour with salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter, add sugar and beat until its smooth – it takes about 5mins.
- Add vanilla essence and mix well.
- Now add all purpose flour / maida to the butter sugar mixture and bring it to a dough.
- Flatten the dough into disk shape, wrap in a plastic cover and refrigerate for an hr.
- On a flat surface roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into your desired shapes and place these cookies on the prepared baking sheet and again refrigerate it for 10-15 minutes. This will firm up the dough for the cookies to maintain their shape.
- Meanwhile u can preheat the oven to 175deg C for 10mins.
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 mins.
- Melt in mouth Shortbread Cookies ready!
- If you feel like bread crumble texture after mixing the flour, sugar and butter, you can sprinkle few drops of milk to form the dough like texture for easy rolling and cutting.
- Shortbread cookies should be kept in an airtight container and will go well for a week.
Shortbread Cookies Recipe Step by Step
- In a separate bowl whisk flour with salt, keep aside.In another bowl beat butter and sugar well until creamy with a whisk. Then add vanilla essence and give a quick stir.Gently add in the flour mixture.
- Combine to form a soft dough – If it doesnt come together add just few drops of water/milk.Flatten the dough, wrap it in plastic wrap and chill it for atleast an hour(this is for making the dough firm so that while baking it doesnt spread but I was in a hurry so skipped the chilling part).Then on a slightly floured surface / place a butter paper like I did, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness, then cut using your favourite shaped cookie cutters. Collect the scraps, roll again until you finish the entire dough.If you feek sticky then slightly flour the cookie cutters before using it.Meanwhile preheat the oven at 177 deg C for 10 mins.
- Line butter paper on the cookie tray and transfer the shaped cookies to the butter paper – I chilled the cookies at this stage for 10 mins while the oven was preheating. Once the oven is preheated,bake the cookies at the same temperature for 10-12 mins(mine took 15 mins) or until the edges start turning golden brown.Cool down completely on a wire rack.
The cookies may look soft, once cooled down it becomes crisp.
- You can have this as a basic cookie recipe and have many variations.The cookies are mildy sweet and has a slight salt taste too that makes them unique.
- Add 1/4 cup chocochip (or) a tsp of lemon / orange zest.
- The texture of shortbread can also be changed by replacing 1/8 cup maida with rice flour for a slightly crunchy texture.For a melt in the mouth texture, replace 1/4 cup of the all purpose flour with cornstarch (corn flour).
- You can even use 3/4 cup of maida and 1/4 cup wheat flour for a more healthy version.Dont think half and half will work.
- Dip the shortbreads in melted chocolate for a glaze.
- Salt is added just to lift the sweetness. You can skip that too.