Sago Upma Recipe
Preparation Time : 5 mins + soaking time | Cooking Time : 10 mins | Serves : 2
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Sago(Javvarisi) – 3/4 cup
Big Onion – 1 finely chopped
Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp
Lemon juice – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
Coriander leaves – 2 tsp chopped finely
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/4 tsp
Chana Dal – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves – a sprig
Green Chillies – 1 chopped finely
Hing – a tiny pinch
- Take sago in a wide mixing bowl.Rinse it with water once.Soak sago overnight, the water level should be just for the sago to immerse fully, do not add more water.
- Soak atleast for 4-6 hours.Next day morning you can fluff it up, if you press a pearl it should be easily mashable.
- Rinse sago well with water and soak sago overnight or for atleast 5 hrs with enough water just to immerse it well…Dont add more water as it will become mushy.After the mentioned time if you see the sago must have absorbed the water well and if you press it with your fingers it will be soft, Set aside. Heat oil in a pan – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.
- Then add onion along with turmeric powder then fry till golden brown.Add required salt.Then add sago and give a quick mix.
- Keep cooking stirring it until the sago starts turning transparent.Take care not to mush it up and also make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom.Even if it starts sticking, just keep fluffing it up.Once the sago turns fully transparent then add grated coconut, coriander leaves and switch off. Finally add lemon juice.
- Dont choose the nylon variety sago….the other bigger variety suits well for this upma.
- Take care while adding water to soak sago…this is a very important step….if you add more water then it will become mushy.If you are soaking in the mrg then you can check it now and then, fluff it up inbetween this gives nonsticky sago.
- If you dont like lemon flavour just skip lemon juice and make it as plain upma.
- You can replace big onion with small onion too.
- Make sure you switch off and leave 5mins before lemon juice is added else there are chances for the upma to turn bitter.
- Toss the sago well to avoid sticking to the bottom.