Last Updated on December 7, 2020
5 Arisi Sakkarai Pongal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Raw Rice – 1 cup
Moong dhal – 3 tbsp
Coconut – 2 tbsp
Cashews – few broken and fried in ghee
Milk – 2 cups
Water – 2 cups
Salt – to taste
- First roast moong dhal and keep aside.Rinse rice and add it along with moong dal in a pressure cooker. Add 1 cup milk and 2 cups water.Make sure your pressure cooker is big enough the water milk and rice mixture should just be to 1/4th of the cooker so that it will not overflow.
- Pressure cook it for 3-4 whistles until soft. Mash it well with a laddle and add the remaining milk say 1/2 cup of milk in intervals twice and mix well.Allow it to boil for 3mins until its thick.Add required salt.
- Add coconut, ghee and give a quick stir.Add the ghee fried cashews and switch it off.
Serve it with pongal curry / kuzhambu the best accompaniment!
- Don’t skip coconut here as its the only main ingredient that gives flavour to the pongal.
- Any veggie gravy will get along with this very well, so when combined and had, no salt is required!