Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Pindi Chana Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
White Chana – 3/4 cup
Onion – 1 finely chopped
Ginger garlic paste – 1.5 tsp
Tomato puree – from 2 medium sized tomatoes
Green Chillies- 2 slitted
Tea Bag – 1
Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
Cardamom – 1
Red Chilli Powder – 3/4 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
Amchur powder(Dry mango powder) – 1 tsp
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp finely chopped
Lemon juice – 2 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
To roast and grind:
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Anardana seeds(Pomegranate Seeds) – 2 tsp
- Dry roast cumin and anardana seeds till nice aroma rises, and grind it to a coarse powder, Set aside. Soak chana overnight and pressure cook with enough water along with tea bag,cinnamon and cardamom for 6-7 whistles.Drain water and keep chana aside.Reserve drained water.Heat oil in a pan add onion, ginger garlic paste and green chillies saute till golden brown.
- Add the tomato puree,roasted powder,red chilli powder,garam masala powder and required salt. Saute till raw smell leaves.Then add reserved boiled water.
- Allow it to boil for few mins.Once it becomes thick like a semi thick gravy add the cooked channa.
- Add amchur powder , give a quick stir and let chana absorb the gravy well. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and switch off.Add lemon juice while serving along with onion rings.
Serve hot with phulkas / pooris.
- Usually pindi channa is semi dry but if you want more gravy then add 1 more tomato for making the puree.
- Dont skip amchur powder and anardhana seeds they give a great flavour to the curry.
- If you have big cardamom use it, I dont have, so skipped and used green cardamom itself.The darker color is because of the teabag , it gives a great flavour to the gravy.
- You will get Pomegranate seeds in Nuts and Spices.