I always take atmost care while preparing recipes borrowed from family members thinking not to spoil the orginal recipe 😉 But this one came soo good in my first try itself and everyone at home relished it.Mittu loved the pakodas to be had as such.This can be a great sidedish with rice, I had the leftover with idli and I soo loved it.
Pakoda Kuzhambu Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Side dish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Big Onion – 3 tbsp finely chopped
Tomato – 2
Tamarind – 1 tsp mixed with 1/4 cup water
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Coriander leaves – 2 tsp finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Chana Dal – 1/2 cup
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Red Chillies – 2
Garlic – 4 cloves
Big Onion – 2 tbsp finely chopped
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp finely chopped
To grind to a paste:
Coconut – 3 tbsp
Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
To temper :
Oil – 1 tbsp
Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
Cloves – 2
Curry leaves – a small sprig
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Soak chana dal for 2 hrs.Drain water completely. Then in a mixer add chana dal along with red chillies,fennel seeds,garlic and grind it to a coarse paste.I did it in batches as I used my small jar.
- Collect the mixture in a mixing bowl, add chopped onion, required salt and coriander leaves and mix well,Set aside.Get ready with all other ingredients shown below.
- Heat oil a kadai.Pinch small portions of the mixture and carefully drop them into oil and deep fry until reddish golden.Drain in tissue paper and set aside.
- Grind together coconut and fennel seeds to a fine paste,Set aside.In a pan – heat oil add the items listed under ‘to temper’.
- Add ginger garlic paste and let it fry for a minute then add onion and fry till slightly browned then add tomatoes.
- Saute till tomatoes shrink and is mushy.Add turmeric,red chilli and coriander powders.Saute till raw smell completely leaves and the mixture is more like a thokku.Add required salt.
- Then add 3/4 cup water(adjust according to the thickness) along with tamarind pulp and let it boil for a good 5-7mins.
- Then add coconut paste and let it to boil in sim until the kuzhambu becomes thick and oil separates, this may take atleast 5mins.Finally add the prepared pakodas along with chopped coriander leaves.Switch off.
Serve with rice.
- I suggest to add the pakodas just 15mins before serving so that it gets soaked well.If you add it well before then the pakodas will absorb all the gravy.
- While grinding chana dal make sure to grind to a coarse paste with few dals here and there only then the pakodas will have a great texture.
- Use small onion for making pakodas which gives nice flavour.
- Adjust tamarind pulp according to the tomatoes tanginess.I used one bangalore tomato and one country variety.
- I just added few pakodas for clicking sake and reserved the rest to be added while serving..