Oats Pongal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Quick cooking oats – 1/2 cup (I used quaker)
Moong Dal – 1/4 cup
Cashews – 5 broken
Water – 3/4 – 1 cup
Ghee – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Pepper – 1/2 tsp (whole or crushed roughly)
Curry Leaves – few
Green Chillies – 1
Ginger – 1/2 tsp chopped finely
Hing – 1/8 tsp
- Pressure cook moong dal along with 3/4 cup of water for 4-5 whistles or until mushy. Ghee fry the cashews until golden brown and keep it ready.Mash it well with a laddle, set aside. In a pan heat oil – add the items under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.
- Then add water and let it boil, add oats and mashed dal together, mix well and let it cook for 2-3 mins.
- Once oats is cooked and it reaches a semi thick consistency, add the cashews, give a quick stir and switch off.
Serve hot with a drizzle of ghee on top along with chutney and sambar.
- Adjust water according to the consistency you like your pongal to be.
- Drizzle ghee, garnish with cashews while serving to give the pongal a more appealing look 🙂
- If you dont like whole pepper corns then crush it coarsely.