Nei Appam Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian | Recipe Reference: Shanthis Thaligai
- Mix jaggery with water and heat it up for few mins until it is slightly thick(no consistency needs to be checked).
- Strain the syrup to remove impurities, collect it in a bowl.Heat it up and cook for few mins to make the syrup thick like honey in consistency.
- Soak rice in water for atleast 3 hours. Drain water and grind rice with very little water to a fine paste preferable in grinder because it minimises water.Now add this jaggery syrup to the rice paste.
- Keep mixing to make a flowing slightly runny batter.
- Add elachi powder, coconut,baking soda and mix well. If you dont want to add baking soda skip it and Set the batter aside for another 2 hours for fermentation.Then heat paniyaram pan , add a tsp of ghee / oil in each hole.
- Pour a spoon full of the batter in each hole.Cook covered for a minute.
- When cooked on one side , carefully flip to other side – add oil / ghee if required.Cook until both sides are golden brown.Remove and serve hot!
Serve hot!! The aroma of ghee with the appams is special about this neiappams.
- If you dont have paniyaram pan then you can deep fry them by pouring a spoon full of the batter in heated oil and deep fry them until golden brown.
- I soaked rice morning and this was ready for snack time.
- If the batter is too runny then it will drink more oil so adjust accordingly.
- You can also use half oil and half ghee to fry the appams.
- As we are addding jaggery the neiappams get a deep reddish brown.The color of the appams depends on the jaggery variety and color.I used paagu vellam.