Moong Dal Halwa is Rajasthan special.It is prepared during Holi, Diwali and other occasions too.This halwa takes a lot of time so you need patience and time but the end result is worth it, so tasty and delicious.Few months back, mittus tamil mam had asked to bring halwa to school and I knew most of them would bring carrot halwa so made this moong dal halwa and yes had in mind to post a new recipe as well 😉 The box came back empty and I was happy to see her face beaming with pride 🙂 I reserved this moong dal halwa recipe for new year and here I am with the post.
Moong Dal Halwa Recipe
Recipe Category: Sweets | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Yellow Split Moong Dal – 1/2 cup levelled
Sugar – 1/2 cup heaped
Ghee – 1/4 cup melted(1/8 cup +1/8 cup)
Milk – 1/2 cup
Water – as needed
Pistachios – few
Saffron – few strands
- Soak moong dal in water till immersing level, soak for atleast 2 hrs.Drain water,transfer to mixer jar.
- Grind it to a semi fine paste not too coarse or not too fine.Sprinkle little water if the mixer gets stuck up, but do not add more water,Set aside.In a sauce pan add sugar..
- Add milk along with saffron, bring it a boil stir well until sugar completely dissolves.Set aside ti cool.
- Now in another pan,take 1/8 cup of ghee,add moongdal paste keep stirring in low flame.It will become dry.
- It will look like puttu,this will take atleast 20mins in low flame.Keep stirring.At this stage the raw smell should have gone and it will give a roasted nutty aroma.This is the right stage,add milk sugar mixture.
- Keep stirring without any lumps.Let it boil for 2mins.
- It will start to thicken,keep cooking.Add remaining ghee(1/8 cup) a tbsp at a time
- Keep cooking and adding ghee,at one stage it will leave the sides of the pan and form a lump,this is the right stage.Switch off.It will thicken further after cooling down.
Serve hot / warm.
- Cooking the raw moong dal paste properly is the main key to get the flavour and texture perfect,so be patient and cook in low flame.
- You can keep in fridge , it will keep well for 4-5 days, heat it up while serving.
- I did not add any nuts , just garnished with pistachios and saffron.