Last Updated on December 7, 2020
The knack to get perfect sambar idli is to make the idli texture porous so that it absorbs the sambar well and for sambar, though tiffin sambar suits well for mini idli I would recommend using arachuvitta sambar which is thick and flavourful and gives the hotel taste.
I was also waiting to get a new idli cooker as my old one got spoilt as its been many yrs. I already have a separate mini idli pot which you can see in my pepper idli and podi idli post….but that pot is so tiny it can steam only 8 mini idlis at a time.
Last time when we went to Chennai, I bought this idli pot the brand name is Amarjothi(I am telling this detail for few readers who asked me the brand of idli pot I use), this mini idli mould didn’t come as a set I got it separately such that it fixes in my idli stand.
Mini Idli Sambar Recipe
Recipe Category: Breakfast | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Keep the idli batter ready.Take the idli batter in a small spoon, pour the batter into mini idli moulds.
- Now carefully place it in your idli stand stacked along with the normal idli mould and place it inside the idli cooker having water till 1/4 th of the cooker.
- Steam it for 8-10mins.Switch off , sprinkle a tsp of water on the idlis and set aside for 5mins.Use a spoon to run around the idlis in the mould, flip them out and keep aside.In a plate add a laddle full of sambar first.
- Arrange the mini idlis then add more sambar on top.Drizzle ghee.Garnish with chopped onion and coriander leaves.
- Make sure you grind the idli batter to the correct consitency sot hat your idlis are porous.If the idlis are poros it will absorb sambar well.
- While grinding grind rice little coarse to get the perfect texture.
- Sambar should be neither thick nor runny, it should be inbetween.
- Once you make the plate ready, serve it immediately.
- You can use tiffin sambar or any lunch sambar for this. But my recommendation is for Arachuvitta Sambar.
- Add veggies or a combination of veggies so that sambar is flavourful.I used carrots and shallots(small onion) for making this sambar.