Now with no further delays let get on to to learn maa vathal kuzhambu recipe.
Lunch Ready with Rice, Mavathal Kuzhambu,,Cluster Beans Paruppu Usili and Sutta Appalam!!
Maa Vathal Kuzhambu Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Maa Vathal – 10
Tamarind – 1 tbsp
Small Onion – 10
Tomato – 1 roughly chopped
Garlic pearls – 5
Brinjal – 2 small
Sambar powder – 1 tsp
Water – 1 cup
Coconut – 1 tbsp
Water – as needed
Jaggery Syrup – 1 tsp(optional)
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Split Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Red Chillies – 2
Curry Leaves – a sprig
- Take few maavathals and soak in 1/4 cup hot water,Set aside.Soak tamarind in 3/4 cup warm water,Set aside.
- In a kadai / pan heat oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’, then add onion, garlic, tomatoes and brinjal saute for 2mins.
- Then add sambar powder and saute till mushy and all the veggies are nicely fried.
- Now add maavathal along with soaked water.Add required salt.Filter and add the tamarind pulp.Add water to adjust the consistency.Let it boil until raw smell of tamarind leaves.Grind coconut to a smooth paste.
- Add coconut paste after brinjal gets cooked.Let it boil for a good 5mins in sim.Add jaggery syrup,bring to a quick boil and switch off.
Serve with hot rice.
- Adding coconut mixture is optional , it is added just to thicken the kuzhambu.
- Keeps well for 2 days if refrigerated.
- You can try to get maavathal in departmental store.Also you can use the same recipe for making other vathal kuzhambu like sundaka vathal kuzhambu etc.
- Add 1/2 tsp chilli powder if your sambar powder is less spicy.
- You can even add any other vegetable that you use four puli kuzhambu.
- Adding jaggery syrup is optional but I prefer adding it for the slight tangy sweet taste.