Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Pressure cooker method given by Poonkuzhali(a reader of Shamis Passions):
- Take a 7.5 litre pressure cooker and fill about 1 1/2 inch with sand.
- Place the cooker plate above the sand. Remove the gasket and close the cooker and heat it in high flame for 10 mins
- Pour the prepared batter in the greased and floured cooker container and gently place it over the plate inside the cooker.
- Close the lid and dont put the whistle.First keep the flame in high for 5 mins.
- After that simmer the flame to lowest possible and check after 40 mins.It took exactly 45 mins for me.
- Brown dates are little harder so soaking them is a must, but black dates need no soaking. Grinding the dates paste coarse is also ok – it depends on how you like your dates in your cake).
- If you want a low fat version then add only 1/4 cup oil and add 2 tbsp extra milk.
- The color of the cake purely depends on the dates used. I have used brown dates here if you use balck dates the cake will be on a darker side.
- If the recipe calls for baking soda or baking powder , sieve it atleast twice with the flour so that the distribution is even.
- This time I didnt lay a butter paper just greased it with little oil and flour. The cake came out clean.