I used my Ultra pressure pan to make this kurma as it was easy and messfree too.
Butter Beans Kurma Recipe
Recipe Category: Side dish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Butter Beans – 1 cup
Big Onion – 1 small sized finely chopped
Tomato – 1 medium sized finely chopped
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 and 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves – just to garnish
Salt – to taste
Oil – 3 tsp
Cloves – 2
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch piece
Garlic – 5 chopped roughly
To grind to a paste:
Coconut – 3/4 cup
Cashews – 3 whole
Fennel Seeds – 1 heaped tsp
Poppy Seeds – 1 tsp
Fried Gram Dal – 1 tsp
- Remove butter beans from its shell, rinse it well and set aside.Grind the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ with little water to a semi smooth paste,Set aside.
- In a pressure pan, heat oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.Then add onion saute till it becomes transparent then add tomatoes.
- Saute till mushy and raw smell leaves.Then add red chilli,coriander powders.Cook for 2mins.
- Add coconut paste along with 2 cups of water.Add turmeric powder.
- Let it simmer for a while till oil seperates.Add required salt.Add butter beans and Pressure cook for 2 whistles in low medium flame.
- Open and garnish with coriander leaves, Taste check and adjust salt if required.
Serve with hot rotis!
- You can adapt this kurma for any vegetable you like.
- Let the kurma boil well after coconut paste is added else the raw smell will retain.
- This kurma becomes thick, so adjust consistency accordingly.