Last Updated on September 14, 2021
Cornflour Halwa Recipe
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: Indian| Reference: Uma’s
Corn flour – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 1 and 1/2 cups
Water – 1 cup + 1 and 1/2 cups
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Cashew nuts – 1/4 cups, chopped finely
Cardamom powder – a tiny pinch
Food colour – a small pinch
- Take cornflour in a mixing bowl, add 1 and 1/2 cups of water and whisk it well to avoid lumps.Then add food color and mix well.Keep aside.
- In a pan preferable nonstick, take sugar and add 1 cup of water. Allow it to boil and wait till the sugar completely dissolves and become slightly thick. No need to check for any string consistency but make sure the syrup is sticky.
- Then add the cornflour mixture, keep stirring in low flame.Stir continuously to avoid lumps while adding.It will first start to form glossy here and there.
- Then it will start to thicken and form glossy texture here and there. Keep on stirring until you see the halwa texture.Now add ghee and cardamom powder.
- Once it is thick and comes together as a whole mass and starts to leave the sides of the pan add fried cashews and switch off.Now transfer the mixture to a ghee greased plate.Let it to set atleast for an hour then cut into squares and enjoy.
Serve chilled or warm.
- You can use any food colour of your choice but traditional Karachi Halwa is available mostly in red, yellow and orange colours.I choose orange kesari food color.
- You can replace cornflour with any flavoured custard powder.
- If you want to serve it in a bowl then switch off a bit runny as you can see the texture in step4 smooth and shiny.
- I transferred the mixture and went to do some other works. So when I tried to pat the halwa after that, by then it started to set so the top was uneven as you can see in the pics.So act quickly after transferring.
- You can even add any essence of your choice.
- The halwa can be had hot or cold as per your preference.Keeps well for 5 days if refrigerated.
- Use a nonstick pan for best results.
- Make sure you cut the cashews very fine so that while cutting you will get smooth pieces.