Coconut Milk Rice also called as Thengai Paal Sadam in Tamil is one of the popular south indian dishes made with rice, ghee and aromatic spices and herbs. This Coconut Milk Pulao is a great one pot meal to go for lunch. Let us get on to learn Coconut Milk Rice Recipe with step by step pictures and video.
Coconut Milk Rice or Coconut Milk Pulao is very easy and quick to make one pot meal, it can be made in pressure cooker or instant pot or even in an open pot. Thengai Paal Sadam is one of the popular south indian menu in weddings, parties, get together etc.
About Coconut Milk Rice
Coconut Milk Rice is made by first tempering whole aromatic spices along with onion, ginger garlic paste and cooking rice along with coconut milk and water. I prefer to make this rice when I am in a hurry and looking for a quick one pot meal. You can add vegetables to this rice and you are done. Else you can have salad or raita as sides to make it a perfect meal.
This is one of the popular South Indian Style rice preparation also known as Thengai Paal Sadam. Thengai Paal is Coconut Milk and Sadam referes to Rice hence the name Coconut Milk Rice.
There are many variants of this simple dish you can add a combination of mixed vegetables to make it whole some. You can even add sprouts to make it healthy. Any spicy curry or raita is perfect to pair up with this rice.
Thengai Paal Sadam – 3 ways
- Pressure Cooker – This is one of the most commonly used methods as it is very quick and easy.
- Instant Pot – Instant Pot method helps when you have no time to baby sit. Keep in pressure cook high mode for 10 mins.
- Open Pot – This method is handy but takes time to cook also you need to have a check closely.
Coconut Milk Rice Ingredients
- Rice – Basmati rice is the perfect pick for this however you can use seerage samba rice too. Other varieties of rice you can use are raw rice, kerala matta rice etc.
- Whole Spices – Bayleaf, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, cumin seeds are used for aroma. I have used ginger garlic paste, onion for flavour and green chillies for spice.
- Cashews & Ghee – Cashews are roasted in ghee and included.
- Coconut Milk – First thick coconut milk should used for this rice.
If you have any more questions about this do mail me at [email protected]. In addition, follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Youtube and Twitter .
Tried this Coconut Milk Rice Recipe ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
Coconut Milk Rice | Thengai Paal Sadam
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 medium sized onion sliced
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chillies
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 bayleaf
- two 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 1 small star anise
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 10-12 cashews
- Soak 1 cup basmati rice in water for 30 mins set aside.
- To a pressure cooker heat 2 tbsp ghee, 1 tbsp oil – add 1 bayleaf, two 1/2 inch cinnamon, 2 cardamom, 2 cloves, 1 small star anise and 1 tsp cumin seeds – let it splutter.
- Add 10-12 cashews.
- Fry until cashews turn golden.
- Add 1 medium sized onion sliced along with 2 green chillies and required salt.
- Rinse soaked basmati rice well atleast 2 times then drain water completely then add it.
- Give a quick mix.
- Add 1 cup water along with 3/4 cup coconut milk. Use thick fresh 1 st coconut milk. Check and add salt at this stage if needed.
- Close with lid with weight on. Pressure cook for 2 whistles in medium flame.
- Let pressure release by itself, Then open.
- Fluff gently from the sides. Add 1 tbsp ghee if needed.
- Flavourful coconut milk rice is ready!
Coconut Milk Rice Recipe Step by Step
1.Soak 1 cup basmati rice in water for 30 mins set aside.
2.To a pressure cooker heat 2 tbsp ghee, 1 tbsp oil – add 1 bayleaf, two 1/2 inch cinnamon, 2 cardamom, 2 cloves, 1 small star anise and 1 tsp cumin seeds – let it splutter.
2.Add 10-12 cashews.
3.Fry until cashews turn golden.
4.Add 1 medium sized onion sliced along with 2 green chillies and required salt.
5.Fry until onions turn transparent and slightly golden.
6.Rinse soaked basmati rice well atleast 2 times then drain water completely then add it.
7.Give a quick mix.
8.Add 1 cup water along with 3/4 cup coconut milk. Use thick fresh 1 st coconut milk. Check and add salt at this stage if needed.
9.Close with lid with weight on. Pressure cook for 2 whistles in medium flame.
10.Let pressure release by itself, Then open.
11.Fluff gently from the sides. Add 1 tbsp ghee if needed.
Flavourful rice is ready!
- Soak the rice in water for minimum 30 minutes, rinse it well, strain and set aside.
- Extract fresh thick coconut milk for best flavour.
- Soaking avoids sticking and breaking of rice while cooking. Soaking and cooking gives soft and fluffy rice.
- I usually use 1 rice :1.75 water coconut milk ratio but 1:2 also works great but soaking is must. You can use 1 cup coconut milk and 1 cup water or 1 and 1/4 cups coconut milk and 1/2 cup water.
- Adding more coconut milk makes rice mushy so make a choice on the ratio accordingly.
Pairing & Storing
Serve Coconut Milk Rice with gravy, kurma or any spicy curry. You can also serve it with a simple onion raita.
Enjoy this rice on the same day of making, else refrigerate and heat it in stovetop or microwave before use next day. Keeps well for 1 day in room temperature and you can extend shelf life by keeping in fridge for one more day.
- You can use seeraga samba rice alternatively.
- Add mixed vegetables like carrot, peas and beans.
- You can even add legumes like chana, rajma etc.
1.Can I substitute coconut milk for water?
Adding more coconut milk makes rice mushy and changes the texture so always stick with a ratio.
2.Which rice is best for coconut milk rice?
Hands down basmati rice and seera samba rice are the best pick for this rice.
Leave a Reply