It is raining kerala recipes for the past 1 week, yes I am trying to wrap up for this onam 2014 so stay tuned for more onam sadya recipes this week 🙂
Pumpkin Eriserry Recipe
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala Recipe Reference : Roshini Kitchen
Yellow Pumpkin – 2 cups
Black Eyed Peas – 1 cup
Water – as required to cook
Salt – to taste
To grind to a paste:
Fresh Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup
Jeera – 1/4 tsp
Green Chilli – 1 small
Turmeric powder – a small pinch
Coconut Oil -1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Small Onion – 5 sliced
Red Chilli – 1
Curry Leaves – a small sprig
Coconut – 2 tbsp
- Remove the skin and the seeds of pumpkin.Chop them into bite sized pieces.Set aside.In a mixer add all the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’.
- Grind it along with little water to a slightly coarse paste,set aside.Pressure cook black eyed peas with enough water for 6-7 whistles or until soft.Cook pumpkin with required salt and water until its cooked to soft, it should be in mashable form.
- Mash it roughly with a laddle.Heat it up, add little water, coconut paste and let it boil for 3-5mins until the raw smell of coconut subsides.
- Then add cooked blackeyed peas along with cooked water,required salt then mix well. Keep in low flame and let it cook.Meanwhile in a pan, dry roast coconut till its nicely browned.Set aside.
- Prepare the tadka – Heat oil add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’ add onion only after the items splutters.Fry till onions turn slightly browned.Now add the tadka and roasted coconut, combine and let it cook for a minute.Then switch off.
Serve hot with rice and papadam.
- The consitency whould be semi thick.
- Mash pumpkin so that its eoughly done, dont overdo…because while cooking it tends to mash by itself.Also you should be able to feel small small pumpkin pieces here and there while eating.
- Roasted coconut gives a great taste and flavour to the eriserry.
- The curry is mildy sweet.
- Coconut paste should not be very fine and should not be watery.
- You can also make erissery with kaya (raw banana), chena (elephant yam) etc.
- Black Eyed Peas is Thattapyir(Cowpeas).I usually dont soak overnight, just pressure cook for 6-7 whistles.If you are soaking overnight you may require only less whistles so adjust accordingly.