Pavakkai Kichadi Recipe
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala
Bittergourd – 1 cup chopped finely
Thick Curd – 1 cup
Small Onion – 5 sliced
Coconut Oil – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
To grind to a paste:
Fresh Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup loosely packed
Green Chilli – 1 chopped roughly
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Coconut Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli – 2 small
Curry Leaves – a small sprig
- Wash bittergourd well, then slightly scrap the sides.Cut it into half, I used only 1 half.Noe further slit open.
- Scrap out the seeds and discard them.`Now make thin slices and cut them into small cubes
- Heat oil in a pan, add chopped bittergourd and saute.Keep sauteing in low medium flame.
- Meanwhile get all the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ in a mixer jar along with little water grind it to a semi fine paste as shown,Set aside.Keep sauteing the bittergourd.
- Once it is nicely browned like below add coconut paste cook for few mins until raw smell leaves.This may take just few mins 3-5mins.Set aside to cool.
- In tadka kadai heat oil – add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper and let it splutter,Set aside.Now add sliced onions,fry till golden brown.
- Beat curd well using a hand whisk, add required salt and add it to cooked bittergourd coconut mixture.
- Add fried onions and tadka items, give a quick mix and serve.This step is done off the stove.
Garnish with fried onions and Serve chilled as a sidedish.
- Beating the curd is a must before adding to the curry.
- I reserved a little of the tempering for garnish which actually was good while eating as the crunch was there.
- If you are scared about curdling switch off cool down a bit then add curd as I did.
- Adding coconut oil gives nice flavour to the curry so don’t skip it.
- You can even deep fry bittergourd.