Paneer Gulab Jamun is a very easy sweet that can be made easily at home. When I posted bread gulab jamun I had many requests to post khoya gulab jamun recipe for diwali
This is not like our usual jamun , it takes time to absorb sugar syrup……Also the jamuns are chewy unlike our regular jamuns more like rasgulla texture but nevertheless tastes delicious.After all its paneer and sugar….How can the combination go wrong?! But I will sure post milkpowder and khoya jamun versions soon.
I am happy to share that this Paneer Jamun Recipe got published in The Hindu chennai edition.
I am all excited for the new year party today so meet you all with more interesting recipes and special surprise giveaway next year.Wishing you all a very happy new year 2014!!
Gulab Jamun Recipe – Ingredients
Preparation Time : 20 mins | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Makes : 15 jamuns
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Paneer – 1 cup
Maida – 2.5 tbsp
Cooking Soda – 1/8 tsp
Rose Essence – 2 drops
Pistachios – 1/2 tbsp chopped just for garnish
Oil – as needed to deep fry
For the sugar syrup:
Sugar – 1 heaped cup
Water – 1 cup
Saffron – 5 strands
- To make the sugar syrup : Take sugar, water and saffron in a bowl mix well.Then heat it up.
- It may take some time so meanwhile you can start making the jamun balls.When the sugar syrup starts turning sticky switch off.Bring paneer to room temperature if you have refrigerated it.Then knead it for few mins with your hands until you are able to form a smooth ball.Then add maida,baking soda and salt to paneer.Give a quick mix.
- Add water little by little and gather together to form a smooth dough without any cracks. Dont knead it just gather together thats enough.Keep aside for 10mins.Pinch a small ball and roll smoothly. Dont apply pressure while rolling and also dont roll them tight…the balls should be smooth.Make all the balls ready.
- Heat oil in a kadai not smoking hot, just hot enough to fry, – When oil is hot, keep in medium low flame drop few jamuns(may be 3-4) at a time, Roll the jamuns with a ladle when its getting cooked in the oil for even cooking and coloring.fry in low flame till dark golden brown.
- Drain in tissue and immediately add it to warm sugar syrup.Finally add rose essence.Cover and let it rest for 2 hrs for the jamuns to absorb the sugar syrup well.
Garnish with any nuts of your choice.
- The dough should be very smooth and dont knead it as it will make the jamuns hard.
- I recommend adding rose essence, it gives great flavour to the jamuns.
- You can skip saffron and add cardamom powder, its purely your preference.
- Make sure you roll the balls smoothly at the same time not too tight. Dont apply pressure while rolling else the center part will not get cooked and will be hard while eating.While rolling if there is a crack then the jamuns will break and open out while frying in oil.
- Give atleast 2-3 hrs resting time for the jamuns to absorb the sugar syrup well.
- If you fry for more time paneer becomes hard so take it when its deep golden brown.
- Make sure you keep in low flame while cooking the jamuns as it may get burnt easily.If the oil is too hot, then the jamuns may turn brown faster but it may not have cooked inside especially the center part.
- Make sure you have oil just enough for the jamuns to immerse fully.
- Oil temperature should be just right for the jamuns to cook perfectly, else it will break or will not get cooked inside.
This is the new year treat for all readers and friends of Sharmis Passions. Wait for the surprise giveway very soon!