You can even treat your kids with this healthy snack when they return from school….I love any appam recipe and this one is my fav anytime!
Wheat Flour Appam Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Wheat flour – 1 cup
Jaggery – 1/2 cup heaped
Rice flour – 1.5 tbsp
Banana – 1 small mashed
Coconut(grated) – 2 tbsp
Cardamom powder – from 1 cardamom
Cooking soda – a small pinch
Salt – 1/8 tsp
Oil – to fry
- Soak jaggery in warm water(till immersing level) , crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick. Strain and keep aside.
- Take wheat flour in a mixing bowl , add jaggery syrup to it and mix well then add required water to make it to a pouring consistency.Then add rice flour and mix well without any lumps,then add mashed banana,coconut,cardamom powder,salt and cooking soda.
- Then mix well.Heat paniyaram pan grease each hole with little oil – then spoon the batter and add it to each hole.Keep covered adn cook for a minute.Once the top gets cooked turn over to other side and cook till golden brown.
Fluffy and soft appams ready to be served.Serve hot !
- Banana gives a soft and spongy texture to the appams.
- You can even add jaggery as such but I wanted to strain the impurities so made syrup and then added.If you want your appams to be more sweet then add 3/4 cup jaggery.
- You can deep fry the appams too.Take the batter using a deep curved laddle and drop it in preheated oil and fry till golden brown.
- You can even add coconut bits instead of grated coconut.
- You can fry the appams in ghee too.