Chilli Parotta Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian| Recipe Reference: Cookery Corner
Parottas – 4 small sized
Onion – 1
Green Capsicum – 1 small sized
Tomato sauce – 1 tbsp
Chilli powder – 3/4 tsp
Coriander leaves – 1/2 tbsp chopped
Oil – 1.5 tbsp + 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
To saute and grind to a paste:
Big Onion – 1 small sized chopped roughly
Tomato – 1 small sized chopped roughly
Poppy seeds – 1 tsp
Cashews – 3
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
Garlic – 4 cloves
Coriander powder – 3/4 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chop the parottas with a kitchen scissor into small squares.Toast them in a dosa tawa for 3-5mins, set aside(Actually the parottas need to be deep fried but the parotta is already fattening…so I opted to toast them).Heat 2tsp oil in a pan – add onion, garlic and saute till slightly browned then add tomatoes and saute till raw smell leaves and is mushy.Add the spice powders except red chilli powder and give a quick stir.
- Once it shrinks, add cashews and poppy seeds saute for 2mins. Allow it to cool and then grind it to a fine paste.Set aside.
- Heat oil, add onion saute till slightly browned then add green chillies followed by capsicum saute for a min, just toss it. Then immediately add the tomato onion paste, tomato sauce and required salt.
- Add red chilli powder,Keep sauteing till the mixture is semi dry, Then add the parotta pieces and toss so they are uniformly covered by the paste. Cook this on a medium high flame for 2mins till the mixture becomes dry.Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and switch it off.
Garnish with coriander leaves while serving and serve with onion raita!
- If you want you can skip coriander leaves and add spring onions instead. You can add chopped spring onions along with onion while sauteing and then use few for garnishing too.
- Make sure the masala paste should be less else the parotta will become very soggy.
- You can a pinch of pepper powder.While serving add a tsp of lemon juice.
- Use kashmiri red chilli powder for the bright red color as in restaurants.
- You can deep fry the parotta pieces too. You can use frozen parottas or readymade half cooked parottas, cook them in dosa tawa then chop them into squares.