Oats is always included in our daily menu specially for breakfast. So I try different varieties than our usual porridge and one such try was this vegetable masala oats(oats savoury porridge) and this was a hit as hubby loved it. Lets start the week healthy with the oats savoury porridge :)
This is not only easy to make but flavourful too with the masalas blended with vegetables and oats. When served hot it tastes soo good and makes you forget its a porridge ;)
1. In a non stick pan add onions and dry roast it until it shrinks, then add oats and roast it until nice aroma rises.
2. Meanwhile pressure cook the vegetables seperately until soft and slightly mushy(I cooked for 2 whistles).Now add water, cooked vegetables, red chilli, turmeric, garam masala powder and required salt to the oats. Let it cook in medium flame for 3mins until oats becomes soft.Add more water if required.
3.Allow it to boil for a while, then use a laddle/ masher and mash it well(it depends on how you want your veggies to be) Cook for 2more mins until it reaches the porridge consistency. Then add chopped coriander leaves, pepper powder and switch off .
Serve hot with raw onions and coriander leaves garnished and pepper powder sprinkled.
- You can use vegetables of your choice. Also if you like the veggies in pieces just mash it roughly.
- Adjust water according to the oats variety. If you want you can add curd / buttermilk, mix it while serving.
- Adding the vegetables and spice powders even before the oats is cooked helps in blending the flavours well. You can also pressure cook the vegetables, oats together with the spice powders.