From the day I made uppu seedai, I was waiting to make vella seedai as I love it.The word ‘Vella’ means jaggery in tamil so vella seedai is basically sweet seedai made with jaggery
I made the flours ready 2 weeks back for the how to posts ok I agree….making vella seedai was in my mind too..But didnt find time to make it and was waiting for the right time. Yesterday on a sunday, unsually I woke up early and seeing my lil one in deep sleep, I thought there is no better time to make this 🙂
Vella Seedai Recipe
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
* Note : Click on the link for knowing how to make homemade rice flour and urad dal flour.
- Soak jaggery in warm water(till immersing level) , crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick .Strain and keep aside.
- Take rice flour in a kadai,add urad dal flour,roast until steam wafts from the flour,do not change the color of the flour.
- Sieve it well.Roast coconut for few mins so that there is no moisture.In a mixing bowl take sieved flours, butter and sesame seeds,roasted coconut and cardamom powder.
- Mix well first for the butter to be evenly distributed. Then add the jaggery syrup.
- Mix well , it will look crumbly.Add little water to form a dough.The dough should not be too loose.
- Pinch a small piece of the dough and roll it out into small balls little bigger than a marble.Roll gently, do not roll tight.If there is a crack its ok as it helps to let out the moisture through the crack which will avoid bursting.Let the seedais rest in the cloth for 20mins for the extra moisture to be absorbed.
- Heat oil, add few balls and fry in low medium flame.Roll and fry for even frying.Fry in batches.
- Fry till it is deep brown in color only then it will get cooked inside properly. Drain in a tissue, cool down then store in an airtight container.
They are crispy on the outside and crunchy inside and I totally loved it and am sure this will be my keeper recipe. I cudnt wait for next gokulashtami so posted it now itself 🙂
- Make sure to sieve the flours.Add the remaining coarse flour to the next batch grind it then sieve repeat this process.
- Just roast the flours without changing the colour.
- Sieving the flour is a must.
- I used homemade rice flour and urad dal flour.You can try with store bought flour too.
- I used butter at room temperature, you can melt the butter and add it too.
- While rolling,if there is a crack its ok as it helps to let out the moisture through the crack which will avoid bursting.