Paneer Butter Masala - Hearing the name itself makes me crave for it as its my staple order in restaurants.Is there anyone who doesnt like PB masala? I can definitely hear a NO......I've tried 2-3 different versions but was not fully satisfied with any as I cudnt get the exact restaurant taste.
Paneer Butter Masala Recipe - IngredientsCooking Time:45 mins Serves:2
Paneer - 1 packet (200 gms)
Butter - 1.5 tbsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Onion - 1 chopped finely
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Tomato puree - from 2 medium sized tomatoes (comes to 1 cup)
Cashewnuts - 5
Milk - 1/2 cup
Cream - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
For mixing:Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp
Dried Kastoori methi leaves (crushed) - 1/4 tsp
Tomato sauce - 1 heaped tsp
Milk - 1 cup
Method:I am sure you'll also be surprised like me once u taste it, it tastes a in restaurants. Garnishing/adding cream enhances the flavour of the gravy and gives a rich creamy taste. This is another long time to desire to get the exact taste for PB masala and now am very much satisfied with this recipe and easiness. Sure to be my keeper!
1.Soak cashews in milk for 10mins and grind it to paste, set aside.Though this is optional it gives a richness and nice flavour to the gravy.
2.Chop paneer into cubes. Take puree from 2 tomatoes and keep aside. Chop onions finely and make it ready. Now in a mixing bowl add chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, dried kasoori methi leaves, tomato sauce then add milk.
3.Mix the milk spices mixture well and keep aside.In a nonstick pan add a tsp of oil, fry the paneer cubes till slightly golden brown and drain in a tissue paper and keep aside.
4.Now add butter in the same pan , allow it to melt then add ginger garlic paste saute for 2mins then add onions and fry till golden browned.Then add tomato puree and fry until raw smell completely leaves, this will take atleast 5mins.
5.Now add the mixed milk-spices mixture,cashew paste,1/2 cup water and then simmer for 5-7 minutes.The gravy would be thick and mixed well at this stage.Add remaining 1/2 cup milk little by little stirring continuously to prevent milk from curdling. Add required salt.
6.Simmer again for 3mins to see like the below consistency.Then add the fried paneer cubes and mix well. Allow the paneer to sit for 2mins then switch off. Garnish with cream and Serve hot with rotis or naan.
- To avoid milk from curdling - You can first heat and boil milk then add it - Dont add refrigerated milk directly.Simmer the heat once milk is added and keep stirring continuously.Also add the milk little by little stirring continuosly.
- You can substitute 1/2 cup milk with 1/2 cup of cream and skip the garnishing.
- Frying paneer is optional you can add it raw too as in the orginal recipe, but I always fry as we like it that way.
- The gravy cooked in milk gives it a slight sweet taste even without adding sugar as in restaurants.
- Tomato puree can also be added in the mixing part itself as in the orginal recipe but I find sauteing this way even more flavourful. I used fresh tomato puree, you can use store bought ones too.