Oats Idli Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Instant oats – 1 cup (I used quaker oats)
Wheat Rava – 1/2 cup (I used wheat rava, you can use white rava also)
Curd – 1/2 cup
Water – 3/4 or as required
Carrot – 1 medium sized grated
Mustard Seeds – 2tsp
Green chilli – 1 tsp finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Hing – 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves – 2 tsp finely chopped
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
Oil – to grease idli plates
- Dry roast oats for 3 minutes and set aside. Cool it completely then grind it to a fine powder, Dry roast rava till nice aroma rises….it may take 3-4 mins, then set aside. Transfer to mixing bowl.
- Add a tsp of oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, let it splutter then add grated carrot, green chillies, and coriander leaves. Saute till raw smell of carrot leaves. In the mixing bowl containing oats and rava, add curd, salt, hing, baking soda and sauted carrot with tempering done. Add required water to make a batter consistency of our normal idly batter.
- Grease the idli plates with little oil. Gently put the batter on idli plates with a laddle. Steam it for 10-12 minutes or until done. Serve hot with any chutney of your choice.
The taste is very close to rava idlis with the additonal tag of healthy. Isnt that good to start off the day with a healthy breakfast without compromising on taste?!
- The batter will be slightly thick in consistency it will resemble normal idly batter, a little sticky.
- If you skip the baking soda you will not get the porous texture as in the pics.
- Any other veggie like cabbage can also can be added. If so saute the cabbage like we do for carrots then add it.
- I’ve modified the quanity of curd after few trials, so you can enjoy ur tasty and guilt free idlis.