Though I have been baking wheat bread regularly for home use, I couldn’t click pictures to post it here as once the loaf comes out of the oven it vanishes atonce.Yayy finally got to click the wheat bread yesterday so here comes the post.
Homemade Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
Recipe Category: Bread | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian Reference:Yummy Tummy
Whole Wheat Flour – 3 cups
Dry Milk Powder – 1/4 cup
Oil – 3 tbsp
Warm Water – 1 and + 1/2 cups(may vary)
Sugar – 3 tbsp (I used demerara sugar)
Dry Yeast – 1.5 tsp
Salt – 1.5 tsp
- Take yeast in a bowl, add 3 tbsp sugar then oil.
- Add 1/2 cup luke warm water and set aside undisturbed for few mins.It will bubble up which shows that the yeast is active.Set aside.Now add 3 cups of wheat flour in a mixing bowl, add 1/4 cup milk powder.
- Then add salt.Whisk it well for even mixing.Now add the yeast mixture.Then add remaining water little by little.
- Knead to a soft pliable dough.Brush with oil and wrap with cling film and set aside to rise for 1 or 2 hrs depends on ur climate and yeast too.Mine got doubled in a n hr.
- Punch down and knead it once again.Flatten it using a rolling pin or just with your hands, measure it with your bread loaf pan.Make sure to make it a square.My bread loaf pan is 9X5 inches.
- Start rolling from one edge.After rolling till the end, flip over and pinch like this to seal it.
- Seam edges and place it inside the pan.If you don’t want a dome shaped bread then flatten it or close with a lid.I left it as such.Let it rise in the pan for atleast 45mins.
- Brush with top of bread with oil and bake in preheated oven at 170 deg C for 40-45mins or until the top turns golden.Mine got done in 40mins.Once baked remove the pan and let it cool for 15mins then carefully invert and let it to cool down completely atleast for 2hrs.If you don’t want the crust on top, use a wet cloth to cover and keep aside for few mins.
Use serrated knife to slice.Slice and serve.Serve as bread toast / plain bread.
- Slice only after cooling down completely.
- Do not invert when the pan is still hot, let it to cool for atleast 15mins before you onvert.
- The quantity of water to make dough depends on the variety of wheat flour too so add little by little.
- You can use normal white sugar too.
- I wanted my bread to be sweet so added 3 tbsp in total though the orginal recipe called for 1 tsp.
- Always use serrated knife to get neat slices.