Thiruvathirai Kootu Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Mixed Vegetables* – 2.5 cups(I used radish, brinjal,raw banana,cluster beans,field beans,Yam and Yellow Pumpkin)
Tamarind – lemon sized ball
Coconut – 2.5 tbsp
Turmeric powder – a genrous pinch
Raw Rice – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
To roast and grind:
Oil – 2 tsp
Coconut – 1/2 cup
Red Chillies – 4
Toor Dal – 2 tsp
Sesame Seeds – 1.5 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/8 tsp
Curry Leaves – a sprig
Hing – 1/8 tsp
* I used half raw banana(vazhakkai), 3 brinjals(kathrikai), 10 cluster beans(kothavarangai),half of shown yam(senaikilangu),yellow pumpkin(manja poosanikai), 1/4 cup field beans(mochai) and 1 small radish(mullangi)
- Wash all the vegetables and chop them as bite sized pieces like how we chop for sambar. Soak tamarind in 1 cup warm water and set aside.In a mixer add raw rice soaked in little water.
- First add the ingredients listed under ‘to roast &grind’ except coconut and roast till dals turn golden brown.Then add coconut along with other ingredients and saute till slightly browned.Add it along with soaked raw rice and grind it to a smooth paste.Set aside.
- Pressure cook field beans. Soak the chopped veggies in water, rinse it well.Then in a pan add the veggies along with enough water,salt and turmeric powder.Let it get cooked.When it is halfcooked add the mochai.
- Then add tamarind water allow it to boil for 5mins then add coconut paste and allow it boil for few mins until raw smell leaves.Add required salt.
- Meanwhile temper the items listed under ‘to temper table’ and add it to the curry.Give a quick stir and switch off.
Serve it with kali or plain white rice.
- While peeling off the skin of plantain, grease your hands with oil to avoid stickiness.
- After cutting the veggie keep it immersed in water to avoid it from changing its color.
- Each vegetable may take different time to get cooked so cook them accordingly. I first added the veggies that takes time to cook and after few mins added the other veggies that gets cooked easily……I pressure cooked mochai alone separately and added.
- You can pressure cook the veggie too if you are confident about the cooking time.
- It is a must to use only country vegetables for this kootu. I used the veggies which I had in hand.
- If you get sakkara valli kilangu(sweet potato) then add it , gives a great taste and mild sweetness to the curry.
- You can also add dried beans instead of fresh beans.You can add avarakkai(Broad Beans)
- Adjust spice level according to your preference.
- The kuzhambu should be more of slightly thick but pouring consistency.
- This kootu is specially served with kali but you can accompany it with white rice,pongal varieties too.