Last Updated on October 19, 2021
Sorghum is also known as Jowar in Hindi,we call it Cholam in Tamil, It is also called as white millet.This is a good source of dietry fiber, it is gluten-free, high in protein, cholesterol free millet.We usually use it in Sathu maavu powder and always make upma / khichdi with leftovers.So this time wanted to try dosa so that I can post it as well 🙂 This dosa came out nice crispy and tasty when paired with sambar and chutney makes a filing and tasty breakfast.
Sorghum Dosa Recipe
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Sorghum(Cholam) – 1 cup
Idli Rice – 1/2 cup
Whole Urad Dal(without skin) – 1/4 cup
Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – for making dosas
- Measure all the ingredients and soak it in a wide bowl with enough water till immersing level.Soak this for atleast 3-4 hrs.
- Rinse it well,mittu is helping me with this 🙂 then wash it well atleast twice.Then grind it to a thickish batter with little water.The batter consistency should be neither thick nor thin.I grinded it in my wet grinder, you can do it mixie too but grinder is recommended.
- Add required salt,mix it and keep it undisturbed for it to ferment.Leave it in warm place for atleast 8 hrs, I left it overnight.See the fermented batter the next day, it has rised well.
- You can see the tetxure, mix it once then add water to make the batter thin.
- Adjust and add water till it is in pour-able and spreadable consistency.Heat a dosa tawa,if you sprinkle water it should give shh sound then the tawa is hot, now add 2 small laddle full of batter and spread it in concentric circles.Drizzle oil over the sides and in the middle.
- Cook till it becomes golden in the center and the edges starts lifting up,flip to other side and cook for 2mins turn again flip over and fold it.Remove from tawa and Serve.
Serve hot with chutney and sambar.
- Add less water and grind the batter thick so that you can use the same batter for idli also.
- You can add water to just half of it to make dosa and use the rest for makingidlis.