Schezwan noodles recipe – It is very similar to Veg Hakka Noodles with the addition of schezwan sauce which makes the dish fiery hot.I love adding more vegetables in my noodles as it gives a good amount of crunch while eating.
Schezwan Noodles is a very easy Indo Chinese recipe prepared with noodles, vegetables and schezwan sauce as main ingredients.I have given alternate if you don’t have homemade schezwan sauce in hand in my notes section.Schezwan / Sichuan / Szechuan is a style of Chinese cuisine originating from Sichuan province in southwestern China.Schezwan Sauce has bold flavours,especially the pungency and spiciness resulting from liberal use of garlic and chilies[Source : Wikipedia]
Schezwan Noodles Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Noodles – 1/2 packet(75 gms)
Carrot,Cabbage and Beans – 1 cup chopped finely
Capsicum – 1/4 cup chopped finely(I used yellow, green capsicum)
Garlic chopped – 1.5 tsp
Schezwan sauce – 3/4 tbsp
Spring Onion(white part) – 1/2 tsp
Spring Onion(green part) – 1 tsp
Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
- Boil water , add hakka noodles and cook along with required salt.Cook until noodles turn soft yet firm enough to bite into.Don’t mush it up.Rinse it immediately in cold water to avoid the noodles from further cooking.Drain water using a colander.
- Add a tsp of oil and toss the noodles to avoid sticking,Set aside.Get ready with your schezwan sauce
- In a pan heat oil – add chopped garlic and spring onion white part, saute for a minute.Keep the flame in medium high flame – Now add chopped cabbage first and saute for few mins till raw smell leaves, then add chopped carrot, saute for few mins then finally add capsicum and give a quick stir.
- Add schezwan sauce,required salt and pepper powder.Saute and cook for 3-5mins.
- Finally add cooked noodles and give a toss.Toss till the sauce and veggies coat the noodles evenly.Finally add spring onion green part.Switch off.
Serve hot with your choice of side dish or any manchurian.
- This doesn’t require much oil as the schezwan sauce already has good amount of oil in it.
- If you prefer add 1/8 tsp soya sauce.
- Use freshly ground pepper for a great flavour.
- Sauteing the veggies in high flame gives a nice smoky flavour and also helps retain its crunchiness without the raw smell.
- Cook noodles perfectly not too mushy or undercook it.It should be soft yet slightly crunchy enough to bite.
- Make sure to toss the noodles in oil to avoid sticking.
- If you dont have schezwan sauce in hand, for a instant version add red chillies, ginger and garlic along with little water and grind it to a fine paste.Along with garlic and spring onions add this paste and saute till raw smell leaves.