I saw this Sago Porridge Recipe in myhealthykiddo when I was looking for porridge recipes.Though she is a regular reader here, I came to know about her and the website little late only, after few ph calls we even met before she left to US 🙂 Thank you Shyamala for taking time to visit us and giving beautiful gifts(she gave the grass mat used in the pic along with other gifts too).
I have starting giving our regular rice menu for gugu like sambar,rasam and curd rice but when we make pulikuzhambu or or some other options that may not be suitable for him now, such porridge recipes comes handy and even while travelling.You can start this porridge after 8 months.
Sago Urad Porridge Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Baby Food| Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Sago(Javvarisi) – 1/2 cup
Whole Urad Dal(Mulu Ulunthu) – 1/2 cup
For making porridge:
Sago Porridge Mix – 2 heaped tsp
Water – 1/2 cup
- Measure sago and whole urad dal without skin.It is recommended to use the smaller variety of sago which we use for payasam.Rinse sago well.
- Wash it well then strain water,Set aside.Then take urad dal rinse it well, then strain water.
- Spread in seperate plates and let it dry in scorching sun for atleast 30mins.Then first take urad dal in a pan,roast until golden,Set aside.
- Now take sago and roast until it comepletely puffs up,it will give a crackling noise once it settles down and the transparent sago would have turned white in color by now, this is the right stage,switch off.Now spread in seperate plates and let it to cool down.
- Now take urad dal ina mixer and powder it.Transfer to a siever then take sago in the same jar.
- Powder it and transfer it to the siever.Sieve it atleast twice for even mixing.Spread in a plate and cool down for sometime then store.
- To make the porridge : Take porridge mix powder in a sauce pan,add water.
- Whisk it well and keep cooking in low flame until it starts to thicken.
- It will become thick in a while,more like this a thick sauce.
- Then it thickens further to coat the laddle like this.This is the right stage,add ghee and switch off.
Mix it and feed warm.
- The porridge mix powder keeps well for 3months in room temperature itself.
- Use transparent small sago variety(nylon sago) for this porridge.
- If there is even little moisture in the sago while roasting it will stick together, but thats ok keep roasting it will separate it will start puffing.
- Adding ghee is optional.