Puzhungal Arisi Murukku Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Parboiled Rice – 1 cup
Roasted Gram dal – 1/2 cup
Butter – 1 tbsp(in room temperature)
Dry Red Chillies – 2
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Ajwain – 1/2 tsp
Salt – for taste
Oil – for deep frying
- Measure 1 cup parboiled rice,rinse it well drain water,Then soak it in water till immersing level for atleast 2 hrs.Then grind it in wet grinder along with 2 red chillies.
- Add very little water as possible and grind atleast for 30mins to get a smooth thick batter like this.
- Take fried gram dal in a mixer jar and grind it to a fine powder.Sieve it in a fine siever.
- Discard the coarse particles.In a wide mixing bowl – add rice batter along with butter,salt,jeera,ajwain and fried gram dal powder.
- Mix well to form a smooth nonsticky dough,mine was too dry so sprinkled little water to get a smooth dough consistency.
- Take a portion, Grease the murukku press and use the murukku press(I used the thenkuzhal mould).Fill the dough till 3.4th of the murukku press.
- Start pressing..I usually press in 2 laddles and flip it in oil.Heat oil , check by adding a pinch of dough if it raises immediately with a shh sound then the oil is ready.
- Now carefully flip over the prepared murukkus and deep fry till golden.Fry in batches.Repeat the process until the entire dough finishes.Drain in tissue paper and store it.
Serve with tea.
- Do not overcook, it should golden brown.
- Regulate flame and cook, do not cook in high flame.
- I used my thenkuzhal press to get this shape.
- If you are making in larger quantity keep the dough closed to avoid from drying.
- If the lines break then butter is more so add a little more rice flour mix then press.
- If you have grinded the batter little loose add 1-2 tbsp rice flour along with fried gram dal powder to get the desired dough consistency.
- If the dough is too dry sprinkle little water.