Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Malpua Recipe – Malpua is a very exotic dessert served with rabri.It is basically a pancake dipped in sugar syrup and served with a warm rabri topped with pistachios.Rabri is nothing but thickened sweet saffron milk with chopped nuts.
Every year for Gokulashtami, I badly wanted to try this but somehow it got missed and yayyy this year dona done :)) This is the first time I am trying and tasting malpua ,what should I say…it was like heaven in your mouth, it was so yummmm.A very rich dessert that will make your meal special if this is served for dessert.
Check out other rabri based desserts :
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
For Malpua base:
Plain Flour(Maida) – 1/2 cup
Khoya – 1/4 cup
Fennel Seeds powder – 1/4 tsp
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – pinch
Oil / Ghee – 2 tbsp
Milk – 2 cups
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
Saffron – 5 strands
Pistachios – 2 tbsp chopped
For the sugar syrup:
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Water – 1/8 cup
- For the Rabri : Boil milk,scrap the sides and keep mixing the malai.Put the flame to low, then add sugar.
- Let it boil until it reduces to almost half.Keep scrapping the sides and mixing.Mix at the bottom to avoid burning,You can see the color change from white to cream.
- Now add saffron strands and cook for few more mins until its thick and creamy.The rabri will thicken when it cools down, so switch off accordingly.Add pistachios(reserve some for garnish)
- See how thick it is after cooling down.Chill the rabri or you can serve it warm too.
- For the sugar syrup: Take sugar in a pan, add water to it, heat it up.
- Cook until it forms a sticky syrup more like honey consistency.To avoid crystallization, keep the syrup bowl inside a bigger bowl containing warm water,the base of the bowlshould touch the warm water,Set aside.Now take flour in a mixing bowl.
- Now add khoya,grind fennel seeds using a mortar and pestle.
- Now add fennel seeds mixture and caradmom powder to the mixing bowl.
- Add required salt, crumble khoya mix well with your hands for even mixing.Add water little by little.
- Whisk it well and keep adding little by little to form a thickish batter more lile idli batter consistency.It should be in dropping consistency but thick as shown.
- Take a deep curved laddle full of batter and add it to a pan containing oil.Shallow fry it.Splash oilover the malpuas with the spatula for even cooking.
- Flip over and cook until golden brown.Press it for even cooking.
- Now add the malpuas to the sugar syrup.Flip over and transfer to a plate.
Serve immediately with rabri and chopped nuts.
Usually Malpua is served warm but I loved it with chilled rabri either ways it tastes delicious 🙂 After all its all the rich ingredients that goes into the making which makes this dessert very exotic.
- You can substitute plain flour with wheat flour too.
- You can shallow fry in ghee too.
- Cook the malpuas in low medium flame until crisp at the edges.
- If the batter consistency is too thin then it will spread out while poring itself,so add little more flour whisk it and then try again.
- I used my flat cast iron skillet for frying.You can use any flat pan.
- I added around 2 tbsp oil but still the malpuas came out nice crisp.Keep frying patiently in low flame to get crisp malpuas.