Kesar Barfi is a delicious, aromatic sweet made by simmering milk powder with sugar syrup & infused with kesar / saffron and cut to square blocks. Kesar Barfi makes moments special and commonly made during Diwali. .
Kesar Barfi is a very quick and delicious burfi made with milk powder and saffron.I have tried few soft burfi recipes using milk powder but always wanted to try the hard textured burfi using it. But I knew only single string can give that texture so kept holding back myself, as somehow I was not confident this year as I am out of touch with the consistencies. Kesar flavour with milk powder blends so well and is a winning combo!
When I saw this Kesar Barfi Recipe, was way too tempted so after confirming with Jey whether its easy to make or not tried it, the burfis tasted out of the world, do try it and let me know.
When I poured it was still goey nad doubted whether it will be perfect, but yayy it came out perfect.
📖 Recipe Card
- 1 cup milk powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kesar / saffron
- 2 teaspoon milk
- In a kadai take sugar and water and heat it up. Heat until it bubbles up well.
- Soak saffron (reserve few for garnish) in warm milk and set aside.
- Cook until it forms single string consistency.
- Now we need to add all these 3 butter, kesar milk and milk powder.
- Mix well without any lumps.
- Scrap the sides and keep cooking. It will first be very thin then start bubbling and become thick.
- It will start to thicken more, see the texture it will be thickish like idli batter consistency. Switch off.
- Immediately pour into a ghee greased tray, then sprinkle nuts and saffron on top. Leave it undisturbed for at least 30mins then mark pieces and enjoy Kesar Barfi!
- Be careful on the single consistency string else you will not get burfis. It will be gooey and will not set.
- I used everyday brand milk powder and the sweetness was perfect. Plus or minus sugar according to the brand of milk powder.
Kesar Barfi Recipe Step by Step
- In a kadai take sugar and water and heat it up.Heat until it bubbles up well.Soak saffron(reserve few for garnish) in warm milk and set aside.
- Cook until it forms single string consistency.Now we need to all these 3 butter,kesar milk and milk powder.
- Add all the 3 and mix well without any lumps.Scrap the sides and keep cooking. It will first be very thin then start bubbling and become thick.Keep scraping the sides and keep stirring.
- It will start to thicken more, see the texture it will be thickish like idli batter consistency.This took me around 3-5mins.This is perfect stage we want so switch off.
- Immediately pour into a ghee greased tray, then sprinkle nuts and saffron on top.It will look goey only but after sometime will become hard.Leave it undisturbed for atleast 30 mins then mark pieces and enjoy the burfis.
Cool down completely then store in a clean container.
Enjoy these melt in the mouth burfis!