Making Sugar sprinkles at home is quite an easy task,also it is much cheaper than buying from stores.I had colored sugar sprinkles which hubby bought from US.Actually I asked him for the colored semiya sprinkles and as it was in the pack of 6 he bought the entire pack and I had green and red sugar sprinkles in that pack which I used for my sugar cookies(recipe coming soon).I wanted to try and post homemade sugar sprinkles so that it will useful to many of you.So I tried in a very small batch, now lets get on to learn how to make sugar sprinkles at home.
Sugar Sprinkles Recipe
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: World
Granulated Sugar – 1/2 cup
Gel or Liquid Food colors – few drops(I used green,red and yellow)
- Measure sugar and keep it ready.Choose your food colors.Now divide the sugar into 3 ziplock bags.
- Pour 3-4 drops of red,yellow and green food colors in each seperate ziplock bags.Now shake each bag well.
- Shake it well so that the colors are evenly distributed,shake and keep mixing until the colors are evenly mixed.Preheat oven at 100 deg C for 10mins. In a baking tray lay 3 small aluminum foils, transfer the sugar mixture to the foil.
- Spread it with a fork so that it forms a thin layer.Bake at 100 deg C in preheated oven for 5-7 mins.Allow it cool down for 15mins.
- Your homemade sugar sprinkles are ready.It will look slightly moist but after cooling down it becomes dry.Cool down completely then store.
Store in a clean airtight box.No need to refrigerate but if you want to have a longer shelf life then refrigerate it.
- Use liquid or gel food colors.
- If you have food color powders then a drop of water in the food color then add it to sugar.
- Baking ensure drying up and also gives a glitter to the sugar so I recommend baking.
- But those who do not own a oven , well you can just mix the food colors dry it well atleast for a day then store.Do not dry up in sun, the colors may fade, just dry it up in a shaded place.