Bubble Tea is a popular beverage orginated from Taiwan. Bubble Tea is made by combining tea with chewy tapioca pearls. Bubble Tea is called by different names like Boba Tea, Pearl Milk Tea, Tapioca Milk Tea, Bubble Milk Tea etc. Now let us learn to make the Classic Bubble Tea Recipe with step by step pictures and video.
Bubble Tea or Boba Milk Tea orginated from Taiwan is a very popular beverage made with tea accompanied with starchy chewy tapioca balls. The Taiwanese Boba Milk Tea orginally uses condensed milk instead of milk which gives it a rich creamy drink but milk can also be used as an alternate which gives the drink an authentic taste too.
About Bubble Tea
Bubble Tea is made by combining tea decoction with milk, icecubes, sugar syrup and chewy tapioca pearls called as boba or bubble. Bubble Tea can be made with or without milk as per our preference.
The oldest traditional Bubble Tea had a mixture of hot black tea, sugar syrup, condensed milk and tapioca pearls. But nowadays it is served cold with icecubes.
Though it is popular for tea varieties some cafe shops serve Coffee Boba too. Most Taiwanese bubble tea shops serve the drink in a plastic cup and use a machine to seal the top of the cup. As the top is sealed the tea can be easily shaken before drinking. A big mouthed straw is given along with this tea for the boba pearls which is pierced to open the seal and the straw is big enough for the bubble to easily pass through it while drinking.
Bubble Tea comes in different flavours : Mango Boba Team, Strawberry Bubble Tea, Matcha Tea etc.
Bubble Tea Ingredients
- Tapioca pearls – Boba pearls or tapioca pearls are readily available online so you can easily buy them.
- Milk – You can either use fresh boiled milk or condensed milk or even evaporated milk.
- Sugar – A combination of brown sugar and white sugar is used for this tea.
- Tea powder – Black tea powder is highly recommended.
- Others – Water is used for boiling and cooking boba pearls and also to make sugar syrup and black tea. Use fresh icecubes to serve the drink chilled.
Boba pearls before and after cooking.
Tried this ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
📖 Recipe Card
Bubble Tea | Boba Tea Recipe
- 4 cups water + as needed
- 1/2 cup boba pearls
- 1 cup milk boiled, cooled
- few icecubes
For sugar syrup
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
For tea decoction
- 1 cup water
- 1 heaped teaspoon tea powder
- To a sauce pan add 3/4 cup water, let it start to boil.
- Add 1/2 cup brown sugar.
- Add 1/2 cup white sugar.
- Let it boil for 3 mins until sugar is melted completely.
- Strain to remove impurities if any. Strain to a bowl and set aside.
- Boil 1 cup water in a sauce pan.
- Let it boil for 5 mins.
- Boil until you get a strong thick tea decoction. Brew the decoction light or strong as per your taste.
- Switch off.
- Strain and discard the remains.
- In a large sauce boil 4 cups of water.
- Give a quick stir to avoid sticking at the bottom.
- The balls will start coming up.
- Cook in low medium flame for 20 mins, stir inbetween to avoid sticking.
- Boba is cooked now. It will be sticky strain the liquid.
- Add it to ice cold water filled with icecubes mix it well.
- Remove the boba.
- To a serving glass add boba there is no exact measurement for assembling and serving it is your choice or as per your taste.
- Add sugar syrup.
- Add icecubes.
- Add tea decoction.
- Add milk(boiled and cooled).
- Mix it well.
- Boba Milk Tea is ready to serve!
- Serve chilled.
Bubble Tea Recipe Step by Step
Making sugar syrup
1.To a sauce pan add 3/4 cup water, let it start to boil.
2.Add 1/2 cup brown sugar.
3.Add 1/2 cup white sugar.
4.Give a quick stir for the sugar to dissolve.
5.Let it boil for 3 mins until sugar is melted completely.
6.Strain to remove impurities if any. Strain to a bowl and set aside.
Making tea decoction
7.Boil 1 cup water in a sauce pan.
8.Add 1 heaped teaspoon tea powder preferably black tea powder.
9.Let it boil for 5 mins.
10.Boil until you get a strong thick tea decoction. Brew the decoction light or strong as per your taste.
12.Keep covered for few mins for it to steep in well.
13.Strain and discard the remains.
14.In a large sauce boil 4 cups of water.
15.Once water starts to boil add 1/2 cup boba or tapioca pearls.
16.Give a quick stir to avoid sticking at the bottom.
17.The balls will start coming up.
18.Cook in low medium flame for 20 mins, stir inbetween to avoid sticking.
19.Boba is cooked now. It will be sticky strain the liquid.
20.Add it to ice cold water filled with icecubes mix it well.
21.Remove the boba.
22.Add it to sugar syrup mix well and set aside.
Assembling Bubble Tea
23.To a serving glass add boba there is no exact measurement for assembling and serving it is your choice or as per your taste.
24.Add sugar syrup.
26.Add tea decoction.
27.Add milk(boiled and cooled).
28.Mix it well.
29.Boba Milk Tea is ready to serve!
- You can use condensed milk for a thick creamy rich version in that case skip the sugar syrup.
- Use fresh thick full fat milk else the drink will be become very watery. Always boil the milk chill it then use it.
- There are many ways to cook boba like in the pack it said to cook just 5-6 mins then set aside for an hour then use it. But this method of cooking it for 20 mins is perfect as we get chewy yet slightly soft boba.
- After assembling serve it immediately.
Serving & Storing Suggestion
You can serve Boba Tea chilled. You can store milk, tea decoction, boba sugar syrup separately if you want to store in fridge then assemble it when needed. You can store this for 2 days in fridge.
1.What is Bubble Tea? What is Bubble Tea made of?
Bubble Tea is a popular beverage orginated from Taiwan which is made by combining tea with chewy tapioca pearls. The tapioca pearls are called boba or bubble hence the name Bubble Tea.
2.What is so special in Bubble Tea?
Sweet milk tea with lots of icecubes and the delicious chewy boba pearls gives bubble tea a unique taste. Sometimes instead of tea you can add fruit puree to make fruity boba.