Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Beetroot Burfi Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Beetroot – 1/2 cup(grated)
Coconut – 1/2 cup(grated)
Sugar – 1 cup
Cashews broken – 1 tbsp
Ghee – 1/8 cup + 1 tsp
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Peel off the skin,trim the edges and grate beetroot.Measure grated beets and set aside.
- Now measure grated coconut,set aside.Now take ghee.
- Grease a plate/tray with ghee and keep it ready.Now add beets and coconut,saute.
- Saute till raw smell leaves,this will take atleast 10mins in low flame.Now add sugar,the mixture will turn goey.
- Add little ghee, roast the broken cashews till golden brown and keep aside.By now the mixture would have thickened.It will start coming together.
- Keep stirring continuously in low flame, it will start to bubble at the edges.Look at the small bubbles at the edges.
- Keep stirring for few more mins,once it is thick and starts to leave the sides of the panit will also look little dry this is the perfect stage,Transfer the mixture to the tray,flatten it using a flat bottomed bowl.
- Cut into squares when its still warm. Cool down completely then store it in airtight container.
I love it when it still warm, juicy yummy burfis!!!
- Use heavy bottomed pan.I used my new steel pan.
- If grated coconut is not fine, then run it in mixie once.Also use fine grater for grating beetroot.
- I just added cardamom powder alone, you can add any essence if you prefer.
- After the sugar is added it becomes goey,then it will start to come together as a mass then further cooking small bubbles appear at the edges at this stage get ready,very soon it will start to leave the sides of the pan and starts to become dry, transfer it immediately else the burfi will start setting.
- Make sure to saute beetroot well else raw smell will retain.
- When the desired stage is reached act very fast and transfer to the greased plate, else the burfis would become hard.
- Make sure you cool them only for 5 mins else marking pieces will be difficult.When its still warm use a knife to cut into pieces.
- You can use any nuts of your choice.