Arisi Paruppu Payasam is a traditional payasam made with rice and a combination of dals.When I was thinking of what to post for Tamil New Year my friend suggested me to try this payasam.I love any payasam with jaggery so tried it the next day itself and we all loved it.
This arisi paruppu payasam / rice dal kheer comes out creamy and tasty.We usually make Paasi Paruppu Payasam and this was a different take on it,sure a great alternate to the usual dal payasam.
Arisi Paruppu Payasam
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Rice – 1/4 cup
Moong Dal – 1/8 cup
Channa Dal – 1/8 cup
Milk – 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup
Water – 1 and 1/2 cups
Jaggery – 3/4 cup
Ghee – 2 tsp
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Coconut – 1 tbsp grated
Cashews – 6 whole broken
- Soak jaggery in warm water(till immersing level) , crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked).Cool down,Strain and keep aside.
- Measure all the ingredients, rinse rice and dal seperately.Now in a pressure cooker add a tsp of ghee add dal and roast it till nice aroma comes.
- Now add rice and roast for 2mins.Then add water and 1/2 cup milk.
- Now give a quick mix and pressure cook until soft and mushy, I gave 5 whistles.Mash it well with a laddle.
- So that rice and dal is mixed well.Now add jaggery syrup and let it simmer for few mins.
- Now you can see it has blended well, at this stage add remaining 1/2 cup milk keeping the flame in low else there are chances for the milk to curdle.
- Mix well and cook for few mins in low flame.Then fry cashews till golden,then raisins.
- Now the payasam is almost ready, add the fried cashews and raisins,grated coconut and cardamom powder and mix well.
Serve hot / warm!
- Cook rice and dal until soft so that its mashable.
- When milk is added to hot jaggery syrup there are chances for curdling so keep the flame in low then add milk.
- The payasam becomes thick as it cools down so reserve 1/4 cup milk and add it at the time of serving incase if it becomes very thick.
- It gives good volume so perfect to serve when you have guests at home.
- You can even add coconut milk instead of grated coconut.