One of my reader asked how my gravies are redish orange in color and she wanted to know whether I add food color….I add either kashmiri red chilli powder or homemade red chilli powder other than that nothing else to add color to my gravy…Even for this I used only red chilli powder.I very rarely add kesari color…but mention it then and there where I have used food color so dont confuse with it. 🙂
Aloo Gobi Masala Recipe
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Potato – 2 medium sized
Cauliflower florets – 1/2 cup tightly packed
Big Onion – 3 tbsp finely chopped
Red Chilli powder – 3/4 tsp
Turmeric powder – 2 pinches
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Curd – 2 tbsp(optional)
Coriander leaves – 2 tsp finely chopped
Oil – 2 tsp
Cinnamon – a small piece
Cloves – 2
To grind to a paste
Big Onion – 1 roughly chopped
Tomatoes – 2
Ginger – 1/4 inch piece
Garlic – 3
- Grind the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ to a fine paste,Set aside.Rinse potatoes, scrap the skin and chop them into bite sized pieces.Add the cauliflower florets in salt warm water along with a a pinch of turmeric powder,keep covered for 15mins then drain the water – this is get rid of the worms if any.
- In a pan heat oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ allow it to crackle.Then add onion and fry till slightly browned.Then add onion tomato paste along with turmeric powder,red chilli powder,coriander powder and garam masala powders along with required salt.
- Mix well, saute it for few mins until raw smell leaves.Now add the aloo and gobi along with 1 cup water.Keep covered and cook until the veggies turn soft.Meanwhile beat the curd well and keep it ready.
- Once the veggies turn tender and gravy has nicely blended with veggies , let it boil for few more mins in simmer till oil separates.Once oil starts to separate, add curd give a quick stir and let it mix well.Then add kasoori methi,coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve hot with roti / rice or any pulao of your choice.
- Cooking the veggie along with the gravy takes a little more time but adds more flavour to the veggie and gravy too.
- Adding curd is purely optional,you can even skip it as the orginal recipe didnt call for it. I added curd just to add thickness to the gravy and I love the tangy taste curd adds to the gravy.