Sambar is one of the quiteessential south indian staple lunch menu.Usually we make tiffin sambar with moong dal which I have posted long back but I prefer this sambar.This idli sambar recipe is no fancy just a easy method of making sambar so wanted to share it with you all.This sambar goes well with idli dosa pongal or even with rice.Attimes I make this in the morning as tiffin sambar and combine it with lunch as lunch sambar yes 2 in 1 sambar hehe 🙂
When we visit Annapoorna, I buy sambar idli just for the sake of sambar, though the sambar now served there is not as tasty as it used to be years ago…still I love the sambar for its unique flavour and taste.When relatives / friends visit us, we make it a point to take them to Annapoorna, they love the sambar and say its the best.Now let me tell you this idli sambar recipe is no way connected to Annapoorna sambar, Now you ask me why do I rave so much about Annapoorna sambar when this post is no way related to it?! Let me tell you I always have fond memories of eating idli sambar and dosa sambar at Annapoorna so it takes me back to my childhood days whenever I write about Sambar and its sure a feel good factor for me 🙂
Idli Sambar Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Toor Dal – 1/2 cup
Tomato – 2 small roughly chopped
Carrot – 2 small roughly chopped
Sambar powder – 1 heaped tsp
Turmeric powder – 2 pinches
Thin tamarind pulp – 1 tbsp
Water – as required
Ghee – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Split Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Small Onion – 10
Hing – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – a sprig
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Rinse dal and set aside.In a pressure cooker heat oil add tomato and carrot saute till tomatoes becomes mushy then add dal along with turmeric powder and salt.Add water and pressure cook for 4 whistles in low medium flame.
- Allow pressure to release by itself.Mash the dal well and heat it up.Make a paste with sambar powder and little water and add it to the boiling sambar.
- Let it boil, add water to adjust the consistency if it becomes too thick.Let it boil for a good 5mins.
- Then add tamarind water.In a kadai – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ saute it for a minute.
- Add it to sambar and let it boil for 5more minutes.Then garnish with coriander leaves , add a tsp of ghee and switch off.
- Ina serving plate place the idlis and pour hot sambar over the idlis so that they are nicely dunked inside.Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
Serve with hot idlis.
- Sambar should be neither thick nor runny, it should be inbetween.
- Add veggies or a combination of veggies so that sambar is flavourful.I used carrots and shallots(small onion) for making this sambar.You can even use potatoes , brinjal or ladies finger or drumstick or raw mango.
- Make sure your sambar or idli is hot while making sambar idli so that the idlis easily absorb the sambar.
- Add 1/2 tsp chilli powder if your sambar powder is less spicy.