Aloo tikki recipe with step by step photos.Aloo tikki is a popular North Indian street food, there are so many chaat recipes which uses aloo tikki as base.Aloo tikki or potato tikki is made with potatoes/aloo as main ingredient,served with chat chutneys both sweet chutney and green chutney.Aloo tikki is also known as aloo pattice or aloo patties.
I make veg cutlet often for mittu as thats one of the few ways I sneak in veggies for her, and to me aloo tikki sounded like a simplified version of veg cutlet :)I saw a aloo tikki recipe with chana dal filling but I wanted to make a simple aloo tikki this time as I planned for a chaat recipe using the tikkis. I have tasted aloo tikki few times and the best one I liked is at Agarwals, guess they use ghee for toasting and it tastes yum…yes thats a sinful indulgence:)
Weather here is demanding some hot fried snacks and this one fitted the bill aptly…I just clicked them today but couldnt wait to share the recipe so here I am with the aloo tikki recipe.
You can serve it with sweet and green chutney or with just tomato ketchup, either ways it tastes yum , but my vote is for sweet chutney 🙂
Aloo Tikki Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Potato – 2 and 1/2 medium sized (comes to 1.5 cups after mashing)
Bread Crumbs – 1/3 cup
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Chat Masala powder – 1/4 tsp
Jeera powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Leaves – 1/2 tbsp finely chopped
Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
Cooking Oil – to toast
Salt – to taste
- Cut each potato into 2 halves and pressure cook for 4 whistles or until soft.Peel off the skin and mash it well without any lumps.Add red chilli powder,garam masala powder,cumin powder,chat masala powder,lemon juice,coriander leaves and required salt to the mashed potatoes.
- Mix well to form a smooth dough.Pinch a lemon sized ball and roll it well, then flatten them into round patties as shown below.
- Roll the patties in breadcrumbs so that it coats well on all sides.Now finish the batter by repeating the process.I just made 6 tikkis for click sake and reserved the batter for later use.
- Heat dosa pan – drizzle oil, add the aloo tikkis and toast well on both sides till they turn golden brown and slightly crisp.
Serve hot with sweet chutney or tomato sauce.
- You can add 1/2 tbsp rice flour / cornflour if the dough becomes watery,but dont add more as the tikkis will become hard.
- Coating them with breadcrumbs then toasting gives a crispy outer layer and soft inside.
- You can even add 1/4 cup boiled peas along with potato.
- I used my potato masher to mash the potatoes, if you don’t have one then mash it well with a laddle.
- The dough should be tight enough to hold together, if the dough is watery / runny then your tikkis will break when you toast them.
- Alternatively you can deep fry them too.But if prefer to deep fry then add cornflour with the dough to make it stiff.
- If you are toasting, toast in low medium heat.
- Flip over the tikkis gently while toasting them in tawa.
- I used my cast iron dosa tawa to toast, you can even use nonstick dosa tawa.
- Replace chat masala powder with amchur powder whichever is available , use that.
- You can even stuff boiled channa dal / sprouts inside the tikkis for taste variation.
- You can even toast the tikkis in ghee.